M1 Helmet Texture Question

Windraider

Hello, I have a helmet here with this painting. Especially with these rough pieces in the color.

I think in the pictures he is easy to recognize. Can someone tell me from when such a texture was used ?? Thank you

post-191677-0-49517400-1542489391.jpg

post-191677-0-17909100-1542489396.jpg

post-191677-0-13077100-1542489401.jpg

post-191677-0-87227300-1542489406.jpg

post-191677-0-19978000-1542489419.jpg

The heat stamp number looks like 1177B, which would make it a late WW2 manufactured helmet. As to the exact date, I'd have to check my copy of Helmets of the ETO but most likely it is early 1945. The chin straps are 80's era by the look of it, most likely it didn't see much use in WW2 and was probably saved and issued later. I would agree the paint does not look original and most likely was repainted by someone. My guess is a reenactor or collector retextured and repainted the helmet at some point.

Hunt

Black clip-on chin straps, 1961-1973.

Yes my mistake, I was looking at the picture of the side of the helmet and thought I saw the 80's style.

Hunt

Thank you. Yes, the helmet was definitely painted over. I just do not know when. The question for me is before, during or after Vietnam? I have two of these from different sources. I do not believe in private work here.

Is this Walnut Texture?

RememberThe5thESB

If it means anything, I do have a refurbished M1 that I myself refurbished with walnut chips. Otherwise I've never, ever, heard of an actual military refurb with walnut. Because I'm 100% sure it did not happen.

I will point out though, I've seen a lot of refurbs that use a very spread out pattern of texture like this, but those were all on either fake lids or reenacting lids. So I'm pretty certain that's what's been done here.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
RememberThe5thESB

Interesting. Wish I could give you an answer, but even if it were walnut shell most examples I'm seeing were very heavily doused in it. But I have seen examples of the kind of texture on the helmet in question here. I really couldn't say though. Hopefully someone has a better answer or maybe you find one.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

If it’s any help finely ground walnut shell was used to texture the outside of post war M1 helmet liners at one stage. Could this be where the term walnut texture comes from?