WWII Red Bushmaster Patch

Kadet

I believe this patch to be original based on the research I have done...but wanted some other opinions. Also curious exactly what unit or branch affiliation the red version represents? I have seen a reference to artillery and engineer, to include the African-American 1279th Combat Engineer Battalion

post-110-0-88500400-1542327567_thumb.jpg

1279th Engr Cbt Bn attached to 158th RCT (Bushmasters) for various ops during WW II. Your patch is a period original. Both the 1279th Engr Cbt Bn and 147th FA Bn (also attached) wore the red patch. However, there are also orange patches for both battalions. Sometimes there are scrolls (red/orange) that say either "Engineers" or "Bushmasters". Those red/orange patches with "Engineer" scrolls tend to be for the engineers, and not the147th FA Bn. The period original patches are all theater or occupation made, as are the srolls. There are some excellent threads on this forum about the patches of the 158th RCT. There is also an excellent article on the 158th RCT and their patches in the OD 2003 Trading Post as well as AJ 2004..

Many thanks to both of you! I read the various threads on these patches, but never found a definitive unit ID for the red ones. The patch is attached to an officer Ike jacket with a laundry # inked in it. Nailing down a unit may help ID it....

Thanks, I tend to think this is a 147th FA Ike. The 147th was a South Dakota NG unit and this jacket originally came out of Minnesota.

1279th Engr Cbt Bn Michigan NG unit.