Older USS Bunker Hill patch, maybe WW II vintage?

Siamundo

I have had this USS Bunker Hill patch for a few years and have not posted it before. I have not seen another like this nor anyone posting one like this before and was wondering if it could possibly be WW II era? There was another thread started several months ago asking about whether the Navy used ship patches during WW II and I think the general consensus was only for PT Boat squadrons. Following WW II, the Bunker Hill was decommissioned and placed in the reserve fleet in January of 1947. If it were postwar it would leave a very small window of possible wear from late 1945 through 1946 which is entirely possible. Unfortunately no history or back story came with the patch. Just curious what others might think.

post-2744-0-63732700-1542200837_thumb.jpg

I don't have any navy ship patches from that era, I have some from the middle 50's. The embroidery looks very similar, the "gauze" kind of throws me off with that embroidery style, that style normally doesn't need the gauze. again I really don't have anything to compare, however I like it a lot. I found a 1948 patch I have, for example on the embroidery style.

post-582-0-37033900-1542218508.jpg

Thank you Bearmon, I appreciate your opinion. I have that same Valley Forge patch and I agree, the embroidery is similar when compared side by side. They could have possibly been made by the same company-just hoping to verify when. I think I might have seen a few, very few :), fully embroidered patches that also had a gauze backing but like you say, the style almost seems unnecessary. I may or may not have another patch made similar to this so I I'll look around and see if I can find one.