Posthumous WWII Navy DFC Group - My Veterans Day Posting

KASTAUFFER

All

I posted the following to my personal facebook page. I usually do a public tribute to a veteran whose medals are in my collection on that day of remembrance.

FROM MY PAGE:

Every year on Veterans Day, I highlight the service of a veteran whose memory I am preserving. Those of you who know me, are aware of my collection of WWII US Military memorabilia and my efforts to research the veterans behind the items I find and telling the story of those Men and Women.

This year I am posting the story of Ens. Robert K. Gunderson US Navy of Seattle, Washington. Prior to entering the Navy he was a student at the University of Washington. I especially like to research local veterans.

Ens. Gunderson was the Co-Pilot and Navigator of a USN PB4Y aircraft ( basically a B-24 bomber) with Patrol Bombing Squadron 106 stationed in Palawan in the Philippines. On July 30, 1945 , 2 weeks before the war ended, he and his crew took off on a normal patrol mission looking for targets of opportunity. The plane and its crew never returned. A search for the crew was conducted by his squadron.

Based on sources discovered after the war . it was discovered the plane had been shot down and crashed near Singapore. 8 of the 12 crewmen survived the crash and were captured by the Japanese. The 8 survivors were executed and their remains cremated by their captors. No remains were recovered by US Forces after the war.

I am in contact with the family of Ens. Gunderson and have given them the 50+ pages of research I have found. They knew he was missing and had been killed, but had no idea he may have survived the crash and was executed. No one will ever know which 8 survived.

He was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with 4 Gold Stars, and the Purple Heart.

I have included photocopies of the citation for the DFC and the letter awarding the Purple Heart. His Air Medals were awarded for each 5 missions that he flew.

The engraving on the medals was done by contractors working for the US Navy. They are absolutely beautiful. Engraving is a lost art.

For those of you who say , " these should be in a museum" , I want to let you know that close to 2 million Purple Heart medals have been awarded since it's inception in 1932, and there are not enough museums that can ever be built to house them all. It is due to efforts of private historians that the stories of these men can be told to the extent that they are. I have found medals in the trash before. In many museums there are box after box of medals like these that will never see the light of day on display, and their stories never told. There is an organization called " Purple Hearts Reunited" who is attempting to outlaw people like me from owning medals and decorations. They believe all medals are " Lost or Stolen" and they should all be on the hands of family members or museums. It is the furthest from the truth. I have been in contact with my Congressmen informing him of how bad this law would be if it should pass. It basically goes against all personal property laws. Our military heritage would be sent overseas to be sold in auctions outside this country.

I want to make sure that the memory of Robert K. Gunderson is not forgotten and that I am doing my small part to recognize the sacrifice he made.

01a1a523c44c4a6d716556c32a25caf92272aa777f.jpg

01cc92fd80d87168918032f3158cc52052f7cc86d1.jpg

017f760dbaab9c60b8c2b3682b86a1df384d6fabdb.jpg

Kurt - Thanks for posting this amazing group and your opening statement. It is such a sad story of loss especially so close to the end of the war. I hope the Japanese officer who ordered these executions got his just due. Rest in Peace, Ensign Gunderson.