• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tonomachi

Tonomachi
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,389
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:04 PM

I just saw this on eBay and someone ruined a genuine 1968 dated jungle jacket.  The Trident doesn't look like embroidery done in South Vietnam or the Philippines during the war.  You just don't come across Tridents on jungle jackets from the Vietnam War because the Trident didn't come about until the end of the Vietnam War.  With that said I have seen photographs of a genuine period direct embroidered Trident on an ERDL jungle jacket from the war.   Now jungle jackets were worn beyond the Vietnam War however this Trident does not match any of the post war Tridents that I have come across on OD or camouflage uniforms.  This Trident looks more like the junk you see currently embroidered on baseball caps that sell on eBay.

Attached Images

• ST.jpg

Edited by Tonomachi, 08 November 2018 - 09:06 PM.

#2 Tonomachi

Tonomachi
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,389
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:06 PM

Photo

https://www.ebay.com...US!-1:rk:7:pf:0

Attached Images

• ST1.jpg
  • ST2.jpg

#3 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:47 AM

This is going to end up being the "pride and joy" of somebody's collection because they didn't do their homework.  :(

Nice call out Tonomachi!

Allan

#4 Spike

Spike
  • Members
    • Member ID: 532
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:27 PM

I saw this the other night. Junk unless there is a SEAL with that name which there was no one with that name in VN. Don't know after 72.

#5 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,506
  • 16,478 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:19 PM

There were direct embroidered uniforms like that coming out of a shop in Hong Kong in the 1990's, mostly for local reenactors.  Some of them were a bit on the "fantasy" side of things.  Japan is another possibility.   The badges and names were done by a programmable sewing machine, which explains the very sharp appearance.

#6 Spike

Spike
  • Members
    • Member ID: 532
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:25 PM

It's no longer on EBAY. Either someone bought it, someone told him it was bogus or he is a member of this forum and saw this post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users