Wendover Aerial Gunnery Certificate - Why the "G" wings?

stratasfan

I have this graduation certificate from the Wendover Aerial Gunnery and Fire Control School. This is from WWII, and the S/Sgt went on to fly over 50 missions over Italy and Germany. I'm wondering what the wings shown on the certificate are?

post-151812-0-81379600-1541696449_thumb.jpg

Hi! I only knew glider wings, too. But why would they have glider wings on a gunnery school certificate? Also, didn't look like it had the pilot shield behind the G. Curious.

I doubt seriously that the wings shown are for Glider, but a specialty printing to depict Gunnery. No glider wing that I've ever encountered. Jack

My guess is that this certificate may have pre-dated the creation of the Aerial Gunner's wing, authorized on April 29, 1943. Prior to that Aerial Gunner's wore the Aircrew wing. I see no date on the certificate so this is just S.W.A.G. Bobgee

• 5 years later...
The Chief

Does anyone have one of the deplomas they can scan and email to me?  We do living history at Wendover and are working on a recreation of the gunnery school training program but abbreviated 

stratasfan
9 hours ago, The Chief said:

Does anyone have one of the deplomas they can scan and email to me?  We do living history at Wendover and are working on a recreation of the gunnery school training program but abbreviated 

I still have the one above and can see if we can scan it. It might be big for the scanner, but I think we could do it in sections.

Elizabeth

The Chief
On 3/4/2024 at 8:42 AM, stratasfan said:

I still have the one above and can see if we can scan it. It might be big for the scanner, but I think we could do it in sections.

Elizabeth

THANKS!  It will help a lot