US Army vet's cold weather gear circa 1956-1958

MattS

My wife's uncle called me as he was cleaning out his basement and asked me if I wanted his cold weather gear he wore in Newfoundland and Greenland in the late 50s. He was a transportation lieutenant and his gear is near mint. There's a M-1951 field jacket with liner, cold weather parka with wool lining, 1952 dated mittens with wool inserts, and his 1942 dated mapcase.

post-32676-0-34325900-1541510422_thumb.jpg

The M-1951 liner label:

post-32676-0-02642500-1541510436_thumb.jpg

Matt, those are some fine items! Fantastic condition given their age. Your uncle-in-law took good care of his stuff. You are lucky to have all of them. Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Kind of gives a new meaning to the term "Cold War" doesn't it? ;)

My first question to him would be "who did you piss off at the officer assignments branch?" :lol:

Matt, those are some fine items! Fantastic condition given their age. Your uncle-in-law took good care of his stuff. You are lucky to have all of them. Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Thanks! Yes, they are extremely nice. Years ago I got his dress uniforms and footlocker from him.

Kind of gives a new meaning to the term "Cold War" doesn't it? ;)

My first question to him would be "who did you piss off at the officer assignments branch?" :lol:

Right? He was at Purdue in ROTC during Korea and he was just happy to not go there, but this was just as cold I'm sure. He said in the winter at McAndrew AFB, they tied ropes between the buildings so you could find your way indoors during blizzards.

Right? He was at Purdue in ROTC during Korea and he was just happy to not go there, but this was just as cold I'm sure. He said in the winter at McAndrew AFB, they tied ropes between the buildings so you could find your way indoors during blizzards.

I was in Military Intelligence so I knew some old SigInt guys who had been around for a while (warrant officers.) The "dream assignment" was Field Station Kunia which was in Hawaii, and the "nightmare assignment" was Field Station Shemya in the Aleutian Islands.

The joke back then was "there's a woman behind every tree." (of course, there are no trees on the island.)