Help IDing era etc. from this Daguerreotype of soldier with sword

stratasfan

Helping a friend. They got this dag, but can't figure out era or rank, etc. Am hoping that someone here can help out! They are positive it is American, but don't have any info other than the picture itself. Any info you can help with is appreciated! Thanks!

post-151812-0-98009000-1541429968.jpg

I don't think it's regular Army, but perhaps militia. The collar decoration doesn't look American at all. It could very well be foreign.

The sword is very different . . . with that double loo guard on the handle.

Great photo in any event. The sword certainly is not any regulation model I'm aware of. The scabbard appears to be rectangular in cross section. I suppose though that the sword is just something the photographer had on hand.

Doesn't look US to me at all-- sword/ uniform and hat.

UK is a possibility. Some additional photos of the entire image with matting and case may be helpful. Some European images come in distinctive cases. Also, is the size a standard SIXTH/ QUARTER plate. Again, European images are also more often found in odd sizes.

If not sure how to describe the size-- just measure length and width of the closed case.

Scott

Hi! Here is some info from the guy who has this. :) He collects dags, particularly soldiers.

It is a quarter plate daguerreotype 4x3 inches. It was purchased in the UK but the mat and case are more American in style.

He also found that the 1851 pattern Texas militia buckle also has the upside down, sideways tilted star.

Hi! Here is some info from the guy who has this. :) He collects dags, particularly soldiers.

It is a quarter plate daguerreotype 4x3 inches. It was purchased in the UK but the mat and case are more American in style.

He also found that the 1851 pattern Texas militia buckle also has the upside down, sideways tilted star.

I believe you have the answer with the location of purchase.

Scott

While the uniform is not exactly the same. it is similar, and they have similar (gold) braiding hanging. This is 2nd LT Henry O. Flipper, the 1st African American West Point graduate.

post-913-0-84864200-1541634651.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK! Found someone who gave a positive ID . . . this young man is Chilean! A collector of Chilean military stuff was able to ID it right off. So, many thanks! Who'd have guessed Chile? Makes this super cool to see! I appreciate everyone's help!