Kinfolks Guard Marked M3

SKIPH

Hey Gang! Just ran across this Kinfolks guard marked M3 on ebay. Thought we'd do a study for the new collectors. Ebay # 332867602229. Pay particular attention to the K.I. marking on the guard, then the blade, the handle, etc. He also has a price of $72.00, or best offer. i don't know the seller, and he has nothing else on ebay, based on asking price, he may know what he has. If someone could post the ad it would be greatly appreciated. SKIP

The USM3 is certainly suspect. The grip looks newer than the blade although I've been able to clean up stacked leather grips on some pretty worn knives. The preening on the tang would lead me to believe the blade and grip were not together originally.

To me, the handle looks like one of those Chinese import M3, by the shape, that was aged and removed from the import. The guard, who knows? But the stamps on the guard are w/o a doubt faked. Finally, the blade looks like it came from a late M7 bayonet. The fact that the seller is not asking a crazy price is an indicator of it's pedigree. Collectors, study, study, study! SKIP

On the picture of the hilt, is that a cross pin I'm seeing?

The peen on the tang, Oh my!

The letters and the 3 don't come anywhere close to resembling images of known good examples.

The blade has already been addressed.

Someone could buy this knife, or better yet buy Bill's book on the M3's and save themselves the trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

It's back up again! This time it has a starting price of $1000. Ebay # 332894439693. Not sure if it's the same seller, or some poor guy who bought it before. Learn your hobby gang! Fakes abound! SKIP

• 2 weeks later...