Group - 1920s USMC Floyd F. Peterson Fleet Marine uniform & medals

Chris

I just wanted to share this because this uniform configuration was short-lived and is seldom seen. I just acquired this from a family member today. Thanks to "Stratasfan", we now know that Peterson served on the USS Maryland, USS Idaho, Hdqs. Co. 4th Marines, Howitzer Co. 4th Marines, Co. C, 9th Marines, Co. C, 3rd Marines, Co. B, 9th Marines, between 1922 and 1929.

One collar G&A is not for the blue tunic, but it was here so I put it on. The other was on the tunic. Everything else is as it came from the family. Note the short duration Pfc patches and the USN Gun Pointer, Excellence, and Marksman patches. The Good Conduct is his first enlistment medal and is numbered and named. The pistol sharpshooter badge is great! No engraving or marks on it. The trousers are here as well. There are two cap size early G&As. One with crisp detail in a beautiful chocolate brown. The other is more crude and although the lat / long details are visible, they are subtle. There is a shore leave pass and two photos. One is of a launch full of sailors, and the other the upper observation structure on what I am guessing is a battleship. The trousers and jacket both have "5472" written in them. Aside from a couple pin head size nips, and a little tracking on the trousers, the uniform is great. A little faded, but very nice overall. I took the photos in a room with direct sunlight. The tunic is not as faded as it appears in the photos. Note the fancy embroidery around the perimeter of all of the patches. I was delighted that the family managed to keep this much of Peterson's uniform items together.

post-5831-0-84017500-1541369378.jpg

post-5831-0-00447000-1541369394.jpg

post-5831-0-85563200-1541369409.jpg

post-5831-0-82111600-1541369422.jpg

post-5831-0-74559900-1541369434.jpg

post-5831-0-91692100-1541369446.jpg

post-5831-0-22545900-1541369489.jpg

jeremiahcable

Wow, that hits squarely in the center of my wheelhouse....a seagoing interwar years marine. Every last one I have from that era is a small size, and several have the sleeve linings removed. Does this one have the sleeve linings? That's a beautiful set, thank you for sharing it!

Chris, an outstanding set, and I love that Sharpshooter badge, not to mention the rest of it. Jeremiah and Chris, my Dad (USMC on the Nevada 1936-39) said it was common for Marines to rip out the sleeve linings on the Blues, and in fact, he did that with one of his blouses. The reason was that it made the blouses cooler when worn in hot weather. And the way the Marines cleaned them - as my Dad said, they would throw them in a tub of cold water then hang them to dry.

Steve