What military items do you use as everyday items?

aussieboy

This is my first topic I've started since joining........I've got to start somewhere I guess!

I am quite interested to know what military items USMF members use as part of their every day use.

As an example, I am an avid hiker. I used my M1 Garand cartridge belt to store snacks in the pouches. It keeps everything convenient, so I don't have to stop and eat.

I also used my Australian WW1 canteen on a number of occasions on my hikes.

I wore my WW2 Australian Owen SMG bayonet on a few trips as my knife.

As I work as a nurse in Intensive Care, I always carry my US Vietnam issue 1968 pocket knife. It's great for piercing IV bags before throwing them out and for cutting IV lines.

Do you have a military issue knife in your toolbox?

Or maybe a military issue wheel brace in your car for your spare tyre?

I'd love one day to buy a genuine WW2 Willy's Jeep to drive to work.....man, THAT would turn some heads!

For winter I have and use

USAF B-9B cap

OD basic trainining issue pile cap

Silk Weight RFI long johns, black and tan

Fleece caps black coyote and ACU Grey green

Nomex gloves

GI wool scarf

Various Field jackets in OD, woodland and DCU

Danner boots

Summer

Various issued camelbacks

DCU Boonie

Year round

ACU assault pack

DCU camelback motherlode pack

Woodland poncho

OD vomit suit parka

I use the recent issue US sustainment bag as my daily lunch bag and as a shoulder bag on occasion. The 1942 British large pack is handy for visits to the flea market. And I wear the recent issue boonie as per the weather. I'm not a veteran, so have several "Honor the troops" type pins on it. I don't want to be accused of anything like stolen valor, but I think it is important to give people a reminder that we have a lot of great men and women putting their lives on the line for us.

post-2687-0-20953700-1541173222_thumb.jpg

Mikie

General Apathy

I am quite interested to know what military items USMF members use as part of their every day use.

I'd love one day to buy a genuine WW2 Willy's Jeep to drive to work.....man, THAT would turn some heads!

Hi aussieboy, I use my 1942 Ford GPW several times a week, just been out this morning to Ste Mere Eglise to have morning coffee with several other Jeep Jocks . . . . . . . . . . . .

lewis

.post-344-0-57173700-1541336392_thumb.jpeg

Hi aussieboy, I use my 1942 Ford GPW several times a week, just been out this morning to Ste Mere Eglise to have morning coffee with several other Jeep Jocks . . . . . . . . . . . .

lewis

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_327.jpeg

Seriously? That Jeep is a little beauty!!!

Thanks for sharing.

lewis

That one is hard to top unless someone around here drives their Sherman to work every day.

Mikie

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_327.jpeg

Not something I really used anymore, but I used this practically everyday for roughly two months while I was working in rural Northern Vietnam this summer. One of the many pith helmets which are commonly worn in the North. This one was used when I picked it up. It's probably made out of some cardboard or something. It is quite heavily used and has deformed and cracked in many places. The liner is also pretty shot up. I had a boonie hat that I wore as a padded liner of sorts.

post-154926-0-30761900-1541393400_thumb.jpg

post-154926-0-57746300-1541393667_thumb.jpg

Picked up these boondockers (repros from HBO's The Pacific) recently. I didn't dub them like most other people, but they've already picked up a nice amount of wear from just everyday use (I work in a kitchen plus construction part time, so these get a lot of usage).

post-154926-0-51143400-1541393815.jpg

Used to wear a fibour helmet when I was mowing at my job. Also wore a wool over coat until I outgrew it. Now since I've lost 60 lbs I'll have to get it out to see if it fits

My wife complained that the can opener had broken and she couldn’t open a tin of tuna. As I have done before, I pulled out my dogtags with a P-38 on the chain and came to the rescue.

I use my dad's Mk2 knife he was issued in Vietnam to help cut things around the house (small limbs and branches from bushes and little trees outside, cutting thick zip ties, opening boxes wrapped with tape, etc.). He wanted it to be used again when he gave it to me instead of it collect dust on a shelf or in the safe where it used to live so I'm just doing what the original owner wanted me to do with it.

post-159863-0-01534000-1542067174.jpg

General Apathy

Thanks for sharing.

Hundredth Anniversary of the end of WWI, 1918 - 2018

two days ago was the hundredth anniversary of the end of WWI, I took my Jeep along to the ceremony and thought that members here would like to hear the story of the gentleman stood next to my Jeep

Monsieur Delarue was chosen to lay the flower arrangement for this years 100th anniversary as he had worked for the American army after D-Day 1944. In 1944 his father was a local mayor and a farmer, the American planners had chosen his fathers fields to land most of the gliders in for the attack on St Mere Eglise and Carentan. One of the lead gliders carried an American Sgt. Legg in charge of graves registration, he immediately started burying bodies in the same fields as the gliders. Mr. Delarue was 16 and employed by the Graves Registration to dig graves and help process and bury the bodies, in all six thousand bodies were buried in his fathers fields and it became known as the ‘ Blosville Cemetery ‘ these bodies were then either repatriated or moved to the cememtery above Omaha beach in 1947. ( Mr DeLarue and daughter by the Jeep )
Monsieur Delarue can be seen as the young lad closest to the rear of the German vehicle on the left.
lewis.
.post-344-0-57661000-1542106384.jpeg
post-344-0-15890400-1542106452_thumb.jpg

Lewis,

Thank you once again for sharing some remarkable history with us.

To answer the OPs question, I use everyday my green OD CVC/helmet bag, issue desert boots with vibram soles and I also wear my Wylie X sunglasses that were issued..

Leigh

• 4 weeks later...
General Apathy

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Aussieboy, a short thirty second video of the Jeep in action, according to everyones connection it might take a few seconds to download.

https://drive.google...ew?pref=2&pli=1

Forgot to say, turn the sound up for exhaust tune . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

lewis.

General Apathy

Lewis,

Thank you once again for sharing some remarkable history with us.

Leigh

Hi Leigh, thank you for letting me know you enjoyed the image and story of Monsieur Delarue.

lewis.

We still have our family farm of 200+ years... I cannot imagine it being the cemetery of 6000 men...

Myself, well, we've been through a few store-bought can openers that always wear out. P38's still going strong, but my wife hates it...

Hi Aussieboy, a short thirty second video of the Jeep in action, according to everyones connection it might take a few seconds to download.

https://drive.google...ew?pref=2&pli=1

Forgot to say, turn the sound up for exhaust tune . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

lewis.

I love that clip of you really clipping along!

Mikie

A First year woodland camo BDU top or OD jungle jacket for late summer fall, an early 80's woodland field jacket and liner for winter, (with a hoodie, I literally can get TOO warm in freezing Michigan weather!) my P coat sometimes, a nylon gas mask bag as my work bag..and a pair of coyote tan boots...of the top of my head..I'm sure I use more!

of course my January 1944 Seth Thomas US Army Air Forces operations clock is always running on my wall :)

And I have my morning coffee in my 1941 R.A.F. coffee mug.... very important before a mission! :D

post-205679-0-18030200-1544142548_thumb.jpgpost-205679-0-57816100-1544142604.jpg