USMC KNIFE FOR OPINIONS

rocky

I would like your opinion on this knife. I am pretty sure the knife itself is good but would appreciate some opinions. I am not too sure about the scabbard. It is not marked anywhere I can see. I know some of them have nine rivets but mine has seven rivets. One of the snaps is marked OOT or DOT. Any help would be appreciated.

rocky

post-52278-0-03283000-1541050922.jpg

post-52278-0-69176400-1541050941_thumb.jpg

post-52278-0-47961900-1541050961.jpg

Thank You for your reply. Do you mean the knife was refurbished and a scabbard added or just a scabbard added? If the knife was refurbished what would they have done to it?

Thanks,

rocky

Sheath may have been made after 1962 and that would be one way to account for only seven rivets. Sheath is most probably newer than the knife which dates to late WW2 production. Knife could have been NOS on an overseas supply shelf.

I've heard of these WW2 vintage pieces showing up as late as even the early 1980's from some dusty corner.

Doyler & Sactroop, thanks for your replies & the help. I paid $70 for this at an estate sale. I thought I got a good deal but being that the knife is WW2 & the scabbard is not I probably paid too much.

rocky

Rocky- Looks like you picked up a nice one. Agree with previous opinions, WW2 knife, with a late scabbard. Thanks for showing. SKIP

For my 2 cents worth, I think you got a decent knife. Looking closely at the handle it looks like black paint (or some type of moisture proofing) peeling off verifying what doyler said. It's a WWII issue refurbished for Vietnam issue.

From my personal experience, at that time in the USMC, we did have plenty of WWII surplus, but I don't recall ever seeing a refurbished one. I'd say it's an oddity and if you catch a WWII MK2 collector who has to have at least one of "everything" it'd be worth considerably more than $70 to him, ditto for a Vietnam collector. Plus, the sheath probably is correct. When it was refurbished they probably dumped the old one and put it in a new one that had the mildew resistant coating.

Enjoy it

Art