WW2 Barteaux Knife?

TALLYHO

I recently acquired this knife which I believe was made by Frank Barteaux. The handle style is reminiscent of his as well is the sheath with the 3 rivets and distinctive snap on the keeper. The blade is 5 3/8" in length and 1" wide. LOA is 9 1/4". I`m thinking WW2. Any thoughts?

post-6195-0-60589600-1541015223.jpg

Seen a few Barteaux knives over the years up here in the Pacific Northwest. This looks like one to me. Can't really say if its WW2 vintage or not. Made knives at least into the 60's.

I`ve seen various examples of his later knives. Handles were smooth and stamp marked BARTEAUX. I thought the handle style represented here was more or less exclusive to war time production copying that of Murphy.

Hi. Yours looks very similar to the Barteaux knife I have. Mine has a similar sheath. The knife overall length is 11 1/4 and the blade is 6 3/4.

post-60-0-58809000-1541082854.jpg

post-60-0-44940100-1541082910_thumb.jpg

Can you see a blurry image of the word "Commando" on the right side of the grip and "USA" on the left? Mine has that.

The fellow who originally purchased this particular knife etched his name and serial number into the blade. He is still living and he confirmed that he bought it during the war out in California before shipping out.

All that said, your knife looks really nice!

HOpe this helps!
Kim

No such markings on this knife. I checked another knife that I have and posted a picture. Its identical to yours. In the right light you can barely make what appears to be the word COMMANDO. Nothing legible on the other side. Perhaps the casting mold was in need of a cleaning.

post-6195-0-53484700-1541086940.jpg