Unknown old bayonet

paulb104

Hi! I've been tasked to help out a friend, a (very) senior sell his collection'o'stuff. Most of it is medals, both the awards and the commemorative, but once he learned of this type of forum he dug out of who knows where four bayonets that he's had for decades. Two are clearly German, probably from the first World War, but the other two are not clearly identifiable.

We're hoping that you folks could help with that.

Here's one of them.

It's about twenty eight inches long total including the hilt. In the handguard is stamped a five digit number that matches the five digit number stamped into the metal sheath: 74238. I'm fairly certain that on the handguard, to the left of the number, there is something else either stamped or engraved but I cannot make it out due to the condition of the metal. On this side of the blade at the base of the blade there is something stamped in the steel but the handguard is partially covering it. Maybe it's a number. One the other side of the blade, again at the base of the blade, there are two hallmarks, one is an M, the other in an M with a crown (or something) above it.

post-167957-0-91748500-1540960324_thumb.jpg

French 19th Century Chassepot Bayonet...... Lock her Danno!

-Ski

Thanks!

The phrase is "book her Danno" though.

About the condition - should it be left alone? Is it too far gone to be cleaned up?

Locked down because it is a French bayonet and has now been identified as such. You can search on our new sister forum, World Militaria Forum, under "French Militaria" for more information on this bayonet.

http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/