Unknown Squadron patch-guessing Navy, maybe early VA-95

Siamundo

Hoping someone might might be able to provide a positive ID and era for this patch. I have only been able to find one modern copy of this patch for sale on a website that identifies it as being from Navy Attack Squadron 95. There have been a couple of different VA-95 squadrons used by the Navy and each had various re-designations during their lifetime, but I can't seem to find any of those squadrons using a confirmed example of this patch. It is an older larger patch. I was guessing maybe late 1940's to late 1950's vintage. Thank you for your help.

post-2744-0-22735100-1540739433_thumb.jpg

It is from VA-95, the cruise book of the CV-47 clearly shows the insignia that you have, they flew AD's on that cruise '52-53. Great patch !

Mark

Wow, thanks Mark! You nailed it. I found an online copy of the 1952-53 Korea cruise book on navysite.de and there it is. Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

142.jpg

Hey Bearmon, with a little bit of luck and a little bit of memory :) The person I bought this from did not know what squadron, or branch of service this was. I did not immediately know either. After buying it, I vaguely remembered seeing a green navy deck shirt on ebay someone listed 5 or 6 months ago that had several patches on it. It was too pricey for me to bid on but I remember it looked great and that there was a similar patch on the front. I remember it also had VA-95 patch with the knight's helmet design on the sleeve so that is where I started my search. As I mentioned earlier, the only example I could find on-line was one listed for sale on Amazon by Popular Patch for $9.95 (below). Just goes to show that sometimes even seeing a modern copy can put you on the right path!

71Qm1UlMt7L._UX522_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sean,

here is the patch you see back some monthes. This VA-95 patches is an unofficial version used 1952-55 and was not approved. I had buying the Jumper with all the VA-95 patches and all are original ones. The original owner was member of VA-95 in 1956 USS oriskany cruise and later Ticonderoga.

post-2117-0-46716300-1542097504.jpg

That is a great looking patch Franky. Thank you for posting it. Glad to hear you ended up with the shirt/jumper. It was a beauty and had a lot of great patches on it!