Crossing 180th Meridian and Equator certificates, same sailor

Vincennes

James W Cottingim Birth Date:6 Dec 1927 Death Date:4 Mar 2009. Died in Oologah, OK.

Enlisted in the Navy in 1945 (#351-18-49) and trained at Naval Training Center San Diego, CA (I also have 1945 Christmas Menu and large "comic" map from base). He joined the USS Blue Ridge (AGC-2) 3-23-46, spent 6 months on her (see below for 2 certificates) and in September, 1946 was promoted to Seaman 1st. Class and transferred to the USS Henrico (APA-45) (I have a 1946 Christmas card from that ship). He was transferred to Naval Station San Pedro, CA for discharge in October, 1947.

Below are shown his crossing the 180th Meridian (6/24/46) and crossing the equator (7/10/46) certificates.

I do not often have both from the same sailor.

Paul

post-2319-0-44189500-1540662299_thumb.jpg

Some more on the USS Blue Ridge while Cottingim was aboard from Wikipedia:

"Blue Ridge arriving at San Pedro, California on 18 March 1946. The ship entered the Naval Shipyard at Terminal Island to prepare for participation in "Operation Crossroads", the atomic bomb tests to be carried out at Bikini Atoll, Marshall Islands.

Blue Ridge departed San Francisco on 12 June 1946, touching at Honolulu, Hawaii, en route to Kwajalein Atoll where she arrived 28 June 1946. Here the ship completed embarking general and flag officers of the Army, Navy and Marine Corps along with United Nations officials for transportation to Bikini Atoll to observe Atomic Bomb Tests. She hoisted the flag of Vice Admiral Harry W. Hill. The senior officer on board was Vice Admiral Edward L. Cochrane, Chief of the Bureau of Ships. Also on board were Vice Admiral George F. Hussey and Vice Admiral Alfred E. Montgomery.

The ship arrived at Bikini Atoll on 29 June 1946, serving as one of the command and observation ships off Bikini during the Atomic Bomb Test "Able" on 1 July. Thereafter, she called at Ponape and Truk in the Caroline Islands, then proceeded to Kwajalein where, on 23 July, Blue Ridge became the flagship of Rear Admiral C. C. Glover. The ship again served as observation flagship for the atomic bomb test of 24 July, hauled down Rear Admiral Glover's flag on 27 July, and sailed for home on 30 July. She arrived at San Francisco inactivation overhaul in the Naval Shipyard at Terminal Island."

So Cottingim was involved in Operation Crossroads. Too bad I do not have anything about that in the material I have.

Paul