Medal Assistance

Edelweisse

Hi: I recently came into a large collection of medals, badges, Unit Crests...and here are a few unique medals, badges, and insignia....

1. American Military Engineer engraved "T.G. WOLPH"

post-153915-0-92392600-1540618463_thumb.jpg

6. War Manoeuvers Engraved "E.Roderick, 736049, 3rd Div, 11th INF, 10th BRIG, Co. G" St. Die Anould Sect., Marbache Sect., Muese Argonne, St. Mihiel"

The medal is made of zinc

post-153915-0-72355300-1540619870_thumb.jpg

Last medal...which means something tome...since my Grandfather was a blacksmith that shoed horses, etc...

9. US Forces Engraved "OSCAR SKOG" presented by the brotherhood of Blacksmiths, Drop Forgers and Helpers World War 1917-1918

post-153915-0-95895300-1540620682_thumb.jpg

THe first medal is a membership medal for the Society of American Military Engineers. It looks like it is probably WWI vintage, but the SAME is still in existence.

Your second medal with the colonel's eagle is, as lettow said, the position of Post Commander for the US War Veterans, a Spanish American War Veterans' organization.

The third item is actually two badges. The top is for the Joint Military Advisors Group Korea. The badge with the pocket hanger tab on it is a US Military Advisors SSI.

The fourth medal is a Civil War veteran's token that someone has turned into a medal by adding a suspension ring. The "HA" is Heavy Artillery. CV could be any number of things- "Connecticut Volunteer," "Central Virginia," etc.

The fifth medal looks like a suspension brooch for a veteran's ribbon or medal for the 3rd West Virginia Cavalry which would also be Civil War.

The sixth medal is a World War I Maneuvers commemorative medal. These were sold at the PX or by salesmen around various military camps. The engraving on your medal is outstanding!

The 7th medal is a mother's medal from the City of San Francisco, CA which was PROBABLY awarded to the other of a fallen soldier, sailor or marine.

The 8th medal is the bottom portion of a Distinguished Marksman badge. It is probably engraved on the back side. It is missing the top brooch. The 1912 bar denotes the year it was earned.

The 9th medal is a veteran's medal handed out by a blacksmith union to a guy named Oscar. It too is a pretty nice medal.

Allan

Thank you Alan. On the CVHA medal ..I found it to be Conn Volunteer heavy srtillery on the web. Its over powering all the medals. I didnt know about the SpanAm veterans medal....its a nice medal

5. Calvary 3 PARKERSBURG, WEST VA

Now that's funny as they used the wrong term for the mounted branch of the Army. It should read "CAVALRY", not calvary, which is the name of the hill where Jesus was killed. Two different words, two different meanings, two different spellings. I guess the confusion started a long time ago.

Now that's funny as they used the wrong term for the mounted branch of the Army. It should read "CAVALRY", not calvary, which is the name of the hill where Jesus was killed. Two different words, two different meanings, two different spellings. I guess the confusion started a long time ago.

Probably not even military, but church related.

• 1 month later...

Fascinating group of medals. I have some good news and bad news about the E. Roderick medal. The good news is that the medal is named for Edward Salmon Roderick of Canton Ohio. Lots of information on him and records of the US Army Transport Service which ties him to this unit. The bad news is that I have the very exact same medal. In fact I've seen this same medal on ebay in 5 different quality versions. Some are more crisp than others. Some appear to be molds or bad copies of an original. I have pictures to send but for some reason I cannot upload them to the site. Send me ideas on how to upload and I will gladly share what i have. I'm very curious why there are so many copies of this same medal and I have never seen another like it.

Interesting that there are so many....maybe the PX had a special deal buy 1 and get five (5) for the price of one (smile).

Thank you for the info...even if bad news

Interesting that there are so many....maybe the PX had a special deal buy 1 and get five (5) for the price of one (smile).

lol "Will the real, E. Roderick, please, stand up"? ;)