5 replies to this topic

#1 T Ambrosini

T Ambrosini
  • Members
    • Member ID: 200,450
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

Hello all...

Glad to finally join the USMF rank and file after lurking for quite a while!  I have had an interest in military history and militaria since early childhood.  I retired from the USAF in 2005 and have since developed a deep interest in the Coast Artillery Corps.  To that end, I have been volunteering at Battery Townsley at Fort Cronkhite, Golden Gate National Recreation Area.  I also have a keen interest in the WW2 Mediterranean Theater and was fortunate enough to spend a year at Comiso Air Station, Sicily in the mid 1980's.  I spent a good bit of my free time combing the accessible battle sites while stationed there.  I currently reside in Sacramento with my family and overindulged pets.

Tom Ambrosini

#2 Teamski

Teamski
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,043
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 03:02 PM

Welcome to the board!  I really enjoyed my trips to Fort Cronkhite when I was stationed at Travis in the early 1990's.  A great view from there!

-Ski

#3 mikie

mikie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,687
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 05:07 PM

Howdy neighbor! Welcome to the forum.
Mikie

#4 T Ambrosini

T Ambrosini
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 05:09 PM

Hi Ski,

Thanks for the cordial welcome.  I too spent some time at Travis and retired out of there in 2005.  I suspect you had left the area long before work started on the rehab of Battery Townsley, around 2006.  If so, you should pay us a visit next time you are out on the west coast.  The battery is open the first Sunday of each month from 1200-1600 and we give free (free!) guided tours.  The image below is of Fort Cronkhite on a foggy day, taken from the Rodeo Beach road up to Townsley.  You can see the top of the Golden Gate Bridge off in the distance.

Tom

Attached Images

• IMG_1656 - Copy.JPG

#5 Backtheattack

Backtheattack
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,851
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:57 AM

Hello Tom, welcome to the forum. Sicily is a great place in history.

#6 T Ambrosini

T Ambrosini
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:01 PM

Belated thanks for the welcome messages!  Being a newbie, I had a limited number of opportunities to respond for the first several posts.  Seems I have passed the probation period!

Backtheattack, Sicily was great.  I was with the 847th Tactical Missile Wing assigned to Comiso Air Station.  I lived in Gela for the first couple of months and we trained at Vizzini.  It was a privilege to have been there and it's toward the top of my bucket list of places to return to.

Tom

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users