reserve mallet

mccooper

Just picked up a Reserve Mallet uniform. Unfortunately not named, but interesting in that his VM ribbon bar has stars for seven battle clasps. I have read that the highest number of clasps awarded was to the RM at nine. As well, three overseas stripes, so looks as if he could have been a volunteer first before being militarized. However, one other ribbon bar, as seen in the photo. Looks French, and I did find that color combination for the French Medal of Honor for Courage and Devotion, which was initiated in 1824. Or is it a US veterans' item? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

mccooper

post-151387-0-53495000-1540240399.jpg

Many "local" Victory Medals issued by states/counties/towns, etc used a r/w/b ribbon as pictured. Probably for one of those.

That is one cool VM ribbon with all those stars! Too bad you didn't get the actual VM. Those RM Victory Medals often include some of the rare ones (e.g., Cambrai, Somme Defensive, etc)

Kurt-

Thanks - you are right. If we only had a name - or the VM. One question: I looked at a lot of the US local medals, and the ribbons are r/w/b. This one is b/w/r, the French sequence. I checked the pin, and the ribbon is pinned on correctly. Did any of the RM Doughs receive French awards? Or, did some of the US medals use b/w/r? I am Sgt. Schultz on medals and ribbons. Thanks.

mccooper