Double named 1943 USMC uniform, need help restoring please!

MattS

The original owner was a C.B. Savage (would like more info on him), second owner was Lonnie Ray Fuller (I believe he went in late in the war in 1945). Fuller died in 1996. There is evidence of removed stripes (PFC?) and a missing button (have a spare on the way). I tried fold3 with no luck on either owner so I'm not sure how to proceed. Thanks!

post-32676-0-09459100-1540226722.jpg

post-32676-0-03627000-1540226732.jpg

Hi Matt - I think your Marine is likely Charles B. Savage (MCSN: 612025). First appearance on WWII - era Muster Rolls is October of 1946. There is another Charles B. Savage, that enlisted 9/4/1920, and served until May of 1921. I’m assuming they are different Marines, as the MCSN for the first one is in the range of WWII numbers. The latter Marine was with the 2nd Tank BN, 2nd MARDIV. Looks like he mustered out in around October of 1949.

You are quite welcome Sir.

Lonnie Ray Fuller (MCSN: 636396) enlisted on this day (10/22) in 1947, which makes sense in looking at the jacket. I say that as Savages name is lined out by the same marker Fuller wrote his name with. So, it logically follows that Savage had the coat first.

Fuller served until January of 1952, mustering out as a PFC.

Thanks for that! Am I correct that Fuller went in during 1945?

Wow, coincidental that I started this research project on the day he went in. So I should probably restore the PFC stripes to the sleeves to make this correct for Fuller. His VFW membership was based on his time in service during the Korean War, not WW2. Thanks again!

Yeah, only took you 71 years to get to it - slacker. ;)

Seriously though, kudos to you that you are honoring his service. Good man.

Wow, coincidental that I started this research project on the day he went in. So I should probably restore the PFC stripes to the sleeves to make this correct for Fuller. His VFW membership was based on his time in service during the Korean War, not WW2. Thanks again!

I replaced the missing button and have correct 2-piece PFC stripes inbound. I got these 2 Marksman bars with it but cannot find the regs for the correct placement of them circa 1950. On the pocket flap or above it? Any help appreciated!

post-32676-0-91759600-1540908427.jpg