ASMIC conventions years past

Longhorn92

I've been to only two ASMIC conventions but I was talking to a dealer at the show last month who told me the shows were much bigger years ago.

It got me to thinking--how long ago do some members remember going to the convention? Has it always been this format or were there ever speakers or planned events or something like that?

Any particular convention stand out in your memory over others?

vintageproductions

There are usually seminars held on Saturday but we couldn't get any volunteers for this last one.

The conventions / shows used to be much larger but that was also pre-internet days when the shows were all you had.

• 2 years later...
mortaydc60

My first convention was 1971 in Dallas when I was stationed at Ft Sam. Think I made all of them since except the covid cancelled. Drawbridge center were usually the best attended sites in Cincinnati and where you found most of the hobbies leaders.

I first started attending in the 80s. They were tri-conventions, in that we were partnered up w/ C & D and AAMUC. As vintageproduction said, shows were where you found stuff - unless you knew Bill Scott, Carl Robin or Manion's.  ASMIC conventions have been going on since the 30s (except last year and the WW 2 years 42-46).   

Longhorn92

I appreciate the responses from three seasoned show vets I’ve learned a lot from. I didn’t say old. I said seasoned. 

I’m looking forward to Fayetteville.