The dreaded "Dear Lloyd" letter. October 1944.

Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane

This letter was among a few items I purchased from a local estate. The dreaded "Dear Lloyd" letter. Dated October of 1944. Apparently, Lloyd's love has found another. "I hardly know how to begin this letter or what to say." "I have been going with a fellow here in Louisville for some time now and now I'm wearing an engagement ring he gave me." "My only regret is that this had to happen while you are overseas." It seem he kept the letter, carefully folded for the rest of his life. Nothing like a typed "Dear John" letter to let you know where you stand. The old duffel bag drag ain't no fun, then or now.

post-154922-0-00321100-1539950524.jpg

Lloyd was probably better off. A sweetheart who can't be bothered to give a handwritten letter concerning something so life changing is probably not the girl for you.

Capt.Confederacy

Wow...that's heavy stuff. She couldn't even be bothered to hand write the letter. I'm surprised Lloyd held on to it rather than destroying it (along with all photos of the woman in question) in the most spectacular and complete fashion possible.

I hope he found someone else who was more worthy of his attention than that dame.

Wow, just wow, I forget which WW II memoir I read, but it mentioned that often, when a soldier received one of these letters, they didn't survive the next bit of combat. I think it was one by a paratrooper.

BKW

GI’s I knew in Vietnam got one, shortly written on the crapper walls were” When in ( fill in town) call( fill in girls name) and her phone number.

• 2 weeks later...

Jody strikes again... This is the last thing any man needs when he's getting his rump shot off overseas.

LOL.that was the first thing I thought!!

Buddy of mine didn't get a letter. What he did get was a Polaroid picture of his wife in a compromising position. He was shown the picture by a new arrival who was bragging about the wild party he had attended back in CONUS.

Paul

Salome, AZ

USCapturephotos

This whole thread bums me out...cant believe that last bit about the guy seeing the Polaroid pic of his wife. Terrible.

Paul

This whole thread bums me out...cant believe that last bit about the guy seeing the Polaroid pic of his wife. Terrible.

Paul

Unfortunately, I can.. :(

My father's first wife divorced him during the Bulge, he was called back to company CP informed by the 1st Sergeant to sign the papers and wouldn't let him go back on the line till he signed new life insurance paperwork naming his mother.

My friend in Ill. father-in-law was in the 7th Division in WW2. When they got to Hawaii, one of the members of his company went to a house of ill-fame and found his sister working there. Later that night, this soldier became the first death in the company- by his own hand. Heavy for all.

Illinigander