need help authenticating, duffel bag, musette bag and web gear

ABN-ATW

The Baugnez '44 Historical Center in Belgium sent me a picture of three articles that supposedly belonged to my father [the duffel and musette bags have his name, ASN and unit on them]. He was never in Holland or Belgium with the 504th PIR, as he returned to the states in May '44 after the Battle of Anzio. So maybe he left them behind in Italy and a collector bought them there and brought them back to Belgium. It's probably hard to tell based on one photo, but any insight about the authenticity of these items would be greatly appreciated..

post-179000-0-05478800-1539805816_thumb.jpg

First thing I noticed was the serial number, assuming he was enlisted that is not a correct serial number.

-Seth

First thing I noticed was the serial number, assuming he was enlisted that is not a correct serial number.

-Seth

Yes he was enlisted.. and yes that is his correct serial number.. at least that's the one that's on all his army documents right up until he retired in 1964..

stealthytyler

I dont see similarities in the W. The draft card has 3 level peaks while both Ws on the two bags have a low peak in the middle. The upper case I on both bags are dotted but the upper case I on the draft card are not.

stealthytyler

Only being nit picky because you asked for help in authenticating these items as belonging to your father. Would love to hear other opinions on the handwriting. That Y does look good though.

I would start by looking at your father's handwriting and see if there are any similarities with the writing on these items.

The printing on the musette bag looks similar to what I remember my dads printing looked like.. My sister has some papers of my dads that I'm going to check for comparison. Apparently the items were purchased by the Historical Center from a seller on Ebay many years ago.. Although on the surface the printing on the bag looks familiar, I'm just a bit leery absent any real provenance..

stealthytyler

The printing on the musette bag looks similar to what I remember my dads printing looked like.. My sister has some papers of my dads that I'm going to check for comparison. Apparently the items were purchased by the Historical Center from a seller on Ebay many years ago.. Although on the surface the printing on the bag looks familiar, I'm just a bit leery absent any real provenance..

Completely understand and agree. Good luck and I hope it pans out! How lucky of you to find your dads items if it turns out legit. Will they sell them to you if so?

You decide if the handwriting lines up. The K looks different but the Y looks similar.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-10-17 at 1.15.36 PM.jpg

Wow! where did you find that document? I agree.. the Y seems to be very similar.. One other thing I noticed was the underscored c in our last name on both bags.. My dad did that a lot. Although it seems there are 2 underscore lines which is a bit different.

Completely understand and agree. Good luck and I hope it pans out! How lucky of you to find your dads items if it turns out legit. Will they sell them to you if so?

As much as I'd love to have them, I might not be able to afford what they might be asking.. :(

stealthytyler

Wow! where did you find that document? I agree.. the Y seems to be very similar.. One other thing I noticed was the underscored c in our last name on both bags.. My dad did that a lot. Although it seems there are 2 underscore lines which is a bit different.

You should also note that handwriting changes a bit on different platforms. He could have written out his card very fast vs writing out his name on the bags very carefully and much slower...resulting in a slightly different style. That Y really is unique in that it looks like a small V on top of an I.

If you say your dad wrote his last name with a dot under the C just like on the bags, the unique Y and etc... if I were in your shoes and had a good feeling about it, I would assume that these items are legit. Of course there is always the off chance that someone made them up. Really your call. Will he sell them to you and how in the world did he find you?

You should also note that handwriting changes a bit on different platforms. He could have written out his card very fast vs writing out his name on the bags very carefully and much slower...resulting in a slightly different style. That Y really is unique in that it looks like a small V on top of an I.

If you say your dad wrote his last name with a dot under the C just like on the bags, the unique Y and etc... if I were in your shoes and had a good feeling about it, I would assume that these items are legit. Of course there is always the off chance that someone made them up. Really your call. Will he sell them to you and how in the world did he find you?

A mutual friend that has done extensive research on the 504th PIR was talking with a staff member of the Historical Center and apparently the items with my dads name on them came up in the conversation.. My friend passed on to me the fellows email address and I emailed him about what he had.. I got a response with the picture from him this morning..

That is a odd serial number for someone who enlisted in 1942, I am guessing he was in service 1940 or before.

-Seth

That is a odd serial number for someone who enlisted in 1942, I am guessing he was in service 1940 or before.

-Seth

Yes, he had previously enlisted in the army in 1936 and served for 3 years.. He reenlisted in 1942..

stealthytyler

by the way stealthtyler, is that my dads Selective Service registration card that you posted earlier?

Yes it is. Just noticed his signature on the card. The C is small and up high with a line under it. My opinion is that those items are good. If he is willing to sell them to you, go for it! So cool that you may be reconnected with your dads WWII ETO para gear! Doesn't happen every day...

Yes it is. Just noticed his signature on the card. The C is small and up high with a line under it. My opinion is that those items are good. If he is willing to sell them to you, go for it! So cool that you may be reconnected with your dads WWII ETO para gear! Doesn't happen every day...

Aside from the printing, do the musette bag duffel bag and web gear seem authentic.. everything I've compared it to seems to confirm that it is; but I'm by no means an expert.. The large A on the duffel is also curious.. I understand that the duffel was called an A bag, so maybe that's why it's marked with the A..

That is something that doesn't happen every day. I feel like the odds of them being authentic are higher since it was a chance occurence you found them, I would be much more suspicious regardless of how they looked if the individual had sought you out and solicited them to you.