US WWII PAL-USMC MARK 2

mikedon

Since there was a topic on a MARK 2 production error recently I thought i would add one of mine.

The last WWII PAL-USMC MARK 2 I acquired in January had an unusual blade grind, I thought it might be a rare one of a kind saber ground blade. Frank Trzaska correctly identified it as having missed the final grind process. It is the bottom knife in the first picture with two other PAL-USMC MARK 2’s above it for comparison. I like production error knives so I added this one to the group.

post-165606-0-12194700-1539672564_thumb.jpg

That picture looks funny. Is the stud sheared off on the screwdriver/bottle opener or is it facing inward?

Stud is sheared off, there's a chip out of the edge near the front, and general surface rust. But I've never seen another one.

Be interesting to see other production errors.

I've seen a few differences on the WW2 era metal scale knives, including one with a pen blade instead of an awl. Only wish I could have looked at it in person. From the pictures it looked original enough and a knife modified by an experienced individual could be very hard to spot.

I think that sometimes in the pressure to get the item out the door to meet the deadline, things get missed. Like the OPs knife missing the original grind, someone had to get X number of knives out the door and just missed that it wasn't ground final before applying the finish and putting it in the box for delivery.

The knife I showed has no signs of being modified, and most likely was some tired worker at the end of the day in 1944 just put two can openers in the slots and flattened the rivets instead of putting in a can opener and an awl. Rather than correct the mistake it was tossed in to the box for shipping. Who know?