"V" Wings - Homefront Item?

Scott C.

I did a search (here and in the wing badges forum) and came up empty handed. Is the wing below a homefront/sweetheart item? 2-3/4 inches wide and unmarked. Not sure what the item on the back is - a tie clasp of some sort? (wing isn't mine).

Thanks for any insight.

post-2884-0-19623900-1539645985_thumb.jpg

vintageproductions

Not trying to dismiss these quickly as a home front piece, but wasn't there a CPT type flight instructor wing that uses the V for Victory ...- in the center of the shield?

• 1 month later...

Not trying to dismiss these quickly as a home front piece, but wasn't there a CPT type flight instructor wing that uses the V for Victory ...- in the center of the shield?

USAAF Contract Flight Instructors at "Victory Field" in Vernon, Texas, wore a similar "V" style wing... and incorporated the dot-dot-dot-dash symbol into their cap pieces and collar insignia.

Those similar wings are illustrated in the pinned section of the Wing Badges Forum under the topic "CAA/WTS/CPT/Flight Schools" page 23:

(The accompanying illustrations were originally posted in that thread by fellow Forum Member "Cookieman.")

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71999-caawtscptflight-schools/page-23

Hunter Flying Service, Victory Vield, Vernon, Texas.jpg

Victory Field S.jpg

I did a search (here and in the wing badges forum) and came up empty handed. Is the wing below a homefront/sweetheart item? 2-3/4 inches wide and unmarked. Not sure what the item on the back is - a tie clasp of some sort? (wing isn't mine).

Thanks for any insight.

Hey Scott,

Looking at the back of your wing, I suspect that additional strip of metal is the remnants of a broken tie-clasp? Several manufacturers produced both pin-back wings and tie-clasp wings using the same design...

Wow Rusty, some great info there on Victory Field insignia - thank you. Hard to say what the bar is on the back of my wings - it's just a curved bar. I think what looks like a solder point on the right side is just a bit of age. Perhaps it was never finished?

It appears your item may have been produced by the same company that manufactured this patriotic home front tie clasp, applying a variant centerpiece to the same style base wing...

Clasp marked "Hickok - USA".

V tie tack C.jpg

V tie tack.jpg

Rusty, I took another look at the back of my wings, and I believe you're right: it once had a tie clip like that shown above. Thank you for your help with this. The wing makes a nice addition to my AAF-related homefront/sweetheart pins.

post-2884-0-07984100-1544302166.jpg