Co B 26th Engineer Bn Vietnam Silver Star KIA group

scottplen

He was only was in Vietnam about 2 weeks before being KIA ! He was a Mormon missonary ,Eagle Scout ,conscientious objector for his religious beliefs. there has to be a story there about a Silver Star to a Mormon !

Anyone with any info please help ?

GO #

post-620-0-56668400-1539555019_thumb.jpg

post-620-0-68222500-1539555049_thumb.jpg

post-620-0-05037200-1539555079_thumb.jpg

post-620-0-05281100-1539555114_thumb.jpg

I have to wonder how you go from a devote Mormon missonary to a war hero ? I would love to read his Silver Star Citation !

This brave man must have been so conflicted ! RIP !

I am interested in this group. How did you find out that he was a conscientious objector? There were and are plenty of Mormon's that have fought in almost every modern conflict (Civil war and post) war. I can think of a few Medal of Honor recipients who were Mormons.

Interesting group. Thanks for sharing.

It is the Jehovah's Witnesses who were contentious objectors. Did he have his own personal beliefs that made an objector?

Kurt

I found info on virtual wall . A man that went through training with him stated he tried to get deferment as conscientious objector and it actually delayed his departure to VN ! Wonder if the delay cost him his life ? Im a believer in fate ! I found 589 Mormons died in VN .

• 3 weeks later...

I find it interesting that in the photo of him in uniform that he is wearing infantry brass with blue backings and the light blue shoulder cord for infantry. I wonder when he branch transferred?

This is an incredible group to a brave soldier, no matter what his religious denomination might have been.

Allan

I find it interesting that in the photo of him in uniform that he is wearing infantry brass with blue backings and the light blue shoulder cord for infantry. I wonder when he branch

This is an incredible group to a brave soldier, no matter what his religious denomination might have been.

Allan

I was thinking the same thing ?

Don't know if you care to know this, but after doing some further checking there apparently was another soldier killed by the same booby-trap that killed Paul.

g1.jpg

Sp4 Richard Carlton Daniels, Vietnam Veteran, Native of Windsor, NC.

Sp4 Richard Carlton Daniels was a casualty of the Vietnam War. As a member of the Army Selective Service and a Draftee, SP4 Daniels served our country until June 23rd, 1969 in Quang Ngai, South Vietnam. He was 21 years old and was married. It was reported that Richard died from an undetermined explosion. His body was recovered. SP4 Daniels is on panel 22W, line 118 of the Vietnam Memorial Wall in Washington D.C. He served our country for one year.

We served together in Vietnam. Its been 38 years since we last served with one another Dickie, a lifetime ago for sure, but you are still in my memory as that friend,that older guy who treated me like a brother. I still have those pictures of us each holding that bird we bought off that kid who said it couldnt fly, yet somehow did after we got down the road a few klicks. You are the guy I wanted to be like. You live on in my heart and in my memories and in the stories I have told my children about someone special who inspired me. Rest in peace brother. Danny A Sands, Sabattus, Maine 04280, [email protected].

Army Sp4 Richard Carlton Daniels, 21, son of Harry C Daniels of Windsor and Mrs Joyce W Hussey of Merry Hill, was killed in action June 23 in Vietnam. A native of Bertie County, he was the husband of Mrs Erma Daniels of Route 5, Edenton. He was a member of Merry Hill Baptist Church. He entered the Army in November 1967 and had been in Vietnam for ten months. He had only 72 more days to serve in Vietnam. Besides his wife and parents, he is survived by a son, Raymond Carlton Daniels of Route 5, Edenton, a sister, Miss Lucy Rebecca Daniels of Merry Hill, and a half-sister, Miss Amy Elizabeth Hussey of Merry Hill; his maternal grandmother, Mrs Ella Evans of Windsor; and his paternal grandmother Mrs Lucy Daniels of Merry Hill. Funeral services will be held Friday at 11am in Colonial Community Chapel by the Reverend George H Cooke. Burial will be in Edgewood Cemetery, Windsor, with Colonial Funeral Home in Charge. The family will be at the home of his mother in Merry Hill.

Richard is the son of Harry Carlton & Joyce Williford Daniels of Windsor NC. He attended Bertie High School.

He served with Bravo Company, 26th Engineer Battalion, 23rd Americal Division, USARV.

He was awarded The Purple Heart Medal for his combat related wounds, The Vietnam Service Medal, The Republic of Vietnam Campaign Service Medal, The National Defense Service Medal and The Good Conduct Medal.

I find it interesting that in the photo of him in uniform that he is wearing infantry brass with blue backings and the light blue shoulder cord for infantry. I wonder when he branch transferred?

Allan

TogetherWeServed showed he was in the 23rd Infantry Division before going into the 26th Engineering Battalion.