Scouting Squadron 3B (VS-3B) SF-1 aircraft photos

Bob Hudson

Picked up a small photo yesterday of what appears to be a squadron of Navy Grumman SF-1's in the pre-WWII era, probably early 1930's. This was the scouting version of FF fighter. These aircraft were from VS-3B the Lexington's "Indian Chiefs" Scouting squadron.. From what I can gather, only 34 SF-1's were produced and they were withdrawn from regular service in 1936 and placed with reserve units. I would assume photos of an SF-1 squadron in flight are scarce, based on the few number produced.

sf1.jpg

The website at http://www.historicaircraft.org/Navy-Aircraft/index_3.html has some great shots of vintage Navy planes, including a few of the Grumman SF-1.

sf1.jpg

The SF-1 was a two-seater and basically was an FF-1 with larger fuel tanks. The FF-1 was Grumman's first design for the Navy and in fact the first complete aircraft produced by the company. Both of these aircraft had a bulbous belly to accommodate the retractable landing gear:

ff1.jpg

The FF-1/SF-1 evolved into the single seat (and skinnier) F2F and then the F3F fighters. Here's a photo I found a year ago, showing F3F's from VF-4 in formation over what I suspect is San Diego County in 1938 (this was an official Navy photo so it was dated on the back).

F3F1938.jpg

There were 55 F2F's produced, 147 F3F's, 120 FF-1's and only 34 of the SF-1's so the photo of the VS-3B planes above shows about 17 percent of the entire production of SF-1's.

It's amazing to look at these biplanes and then consider the massive evolution in Navy fighters that occurred in the following decade: an evolution not just in design but quantity: there were 12,571 F4U Corsairs produced!

Charlie Flick

Great photos, FS. It is very easy to see the Grumman family design history in the succeeding aircraft.

Charlie

Great photos, FS. It is very easy to see the Grumman family design history in the succeeding aircraft.

Charlie

I had thought the SF-1 photo was another F3F photo until I started trying to figure out why a scouting squadron had a fighter assigned to ir (for those who don't know, the middle letter of the aircraft number represented the type of squadron, S for scouting, F for fighter, and the first number was the squadron number). It took me a couple hours to finally stumble across the somewhat obscure SF-1.

Scouting Squadron VS-3B is interesting in its own right. Among its former pilots was Lt. Cmdr. John Charles Waldron who led Torpedo Squadron 8 at the Battle of Midway. Only one of the 30 men in that squadron survived. Waldron received the Navy Cross posthumously.

I found out that in 1935 VS-3B on the Lexington had 18 of the SF-1's and two squadrons on the Saratoga each had one SF-1, but it appears that VS-3B was the only fleet squadron ever fully equipped with the SF-1 and their sister fighter squadron on the Lexington, VF-5B, was the only fleet squadron equipped with the FF-1. By 1937 there no SF-1's assigned to the carrier air groups and VS-3B had become VS-2 flying the Vought SBU-1 Corsair. In 1942 Scouting Squadron 2 was in the Battle of the Coral Sea flying still from the Lexington.

• 5 weeks later...

I found some more information on the insignia on the side of the VS-3B squadron planes:

sf1cu.jpg

It's an "Indian chief" and was later used by VS-2 after VS-3B was renamed in 1937

indianchiefs.jpg

indianchiefsart.jpg