WWII USCG Green Inlay Dog Tags & Medals

mds308

Hi,

This is a first for me. I have never found vintage USCG dog tags. I'm assuming they're WWII. The Good Conduct is not named but has a ribbon bar which reads C8CGD NEW ORLEANS LA. I'd be willing to bet this was for the 8th Coast Guard District in New Orleans. Was it common for dog tags to have a colored inlay?

post-165739-0-81851700-1539451965_thumb.jpg

The 270-813 service number is most likely from the mid 1950s. 6 digit number were for active duty personnel and a 7 digit number ( 20XX-XXX ) indicated Coast Guard Reserve personnel

Did some additional digging and the 270-XXX service number would have been assigned in the mid to late 1940s , 1947 sh..

More than likely he served in WWII & Korea. I wasn't unable to get any more information. There were no family members involved so my questions couldn't be answered. Thanks for the input.

If you are interest in finding out more information about this man I recommend you contact a researcher to pull his records from the NPRC in St Louis. There are several great researchers here on the forum. You have all the information you need to start your search on his dog tag. Good luck.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Liinz

Salvage Sailor

Not green inlay, its verdigris a chemical reaction to the metal from dirt and moisture.

Aye Verdigris,

A sure sign of a salty sailor or guardsman

• 4 weeks later...

zsmith,

Thanks for all your time and the information. I find it hard to believe he died in 1984. The garage looked untouched, was set with all his tools and looked to have been untouched since his death. There were a lot of borrowed (5 finger discount) tools, parts and equipment taken from the USCG/USN. He even took ship to shore power/phone cables. I never could find any uniforms or other military items. Family was not around or in charge of the sale. It was some guy who was put in charge to empty the house. He knew nothing about the family. I'll be at the Hampton, Virginia gun show on the 24-25 of November. If you or anyone else are able, come see me.