M-9 Hand Projector from a local gun show...

Morlok

I found this at a local gun show yesterday. I'm not too familiar with these, but after using the phone-a-friend option (thanks Tentitans!), we found enough info to know it was worth picking up. After a few good rounds of haggling on the price, I walked away with it. I still need to do some more research. It looks like it has some cosmoline & grease on it, but a good cleaning should have it looking great! It looks blackened in the photos, but in hand it has more of a parkerized/OD color to it.

I'll let the pictures do the talking...

Comments always welcome. Good, bad & ugly!!

post-67213-0-38500100-1539444210.jpegpost-67213-0-13156000-1539444219_thumb.jpeg

Fine example, it is parked others will be blued. Yours is the middle of the production run from about Dec-1943 to May-1944. The M9 hand projector was solely a USAAF item, the infantry and cavalry rejected it opting for the rifle grenade type signals. This device was designed to fire both the rimless M28-M36 cartridges to include the parachute types M10-M16, and the shotgun shell type signals M37-M45. It has an interesting history as does most all pyrotechnic projectors.

Thank you for the info! That just makes it a perfect addition to my collection!! Here are a few photos of it, with a M37 shell from 1943 that I've had for some time...post-67213-0-38335600-1539446952_thumb.jpegpost-67213-0-34396800-1539446961_thumb.jpeg

It looks like a loose fit in the photo above, but it fits like a glove. The ejector holds the shell up while the M9 is open. I don't want to close it with the shell in, or display it that way, either, for obvious reasons!!

Nah Jerry, first the M9 projector here has a diameter bigger than 37mm. That odd looking stick thing is actually a flashlight, not to be confused with the life preserver light just to the side of it. It is a waterproof floating light.