• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BaldEagle06

BaldEagle06
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 194,176
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:54 AM

I am new to this forum and have a general question about posthumous award of the CIB.  Does anyone know if the CIB was awarded posthumously to those men killed during or shortly after the D-Day invasion?

I am trying to put together a display for a young man who grew up in my mother's farming community who was killed on June 19, 1944 after participating in the invasion with the 101st A/B.  He was clearly "Infantry" being assigned as a 1LT to the 502 PIR in Co F under Capt. LeGrand Johnson.  He was awarded a Silver Star before he was killed.  

Thanks,

Bald Eagle 06

#2 dhcoleterracina

dhcoleterracina
  • Members
    • Member ID: 573
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:57 AM

i've never heard of a post. awarded CIB. I've seen Bronze Stars on up though. You should post your question in the medal section for those experts. Welcome to the Forum. 

#3 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 13,332 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:29 AM

One of the forum members here has a posthumous group with a letter in it for the award of a posthumous CIB, so it did happen. As far as what was required for it to happen, I am not sure or if it was a "blanket" award. Of all the posthumous groups I've seen and handled (around 2,000) that was the only posthumous CIB letter I have seen (though granted, I wasn't looking for them...that one just stood out to me...)

#4 BaldEagle06

BaldEagle06
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 194,176
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:44 AM

I have heard from a historian at the National WWII Museum that there is an Army Circular 151 (May 1945) that addresses posthumous award of the CIB.  I Googled that circular number and did not get back a clear reference to a government website like you do with more current government regs.  Still working on it but at least now I have some information.  Thanks  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users