Framed colorized USS New Mexico photo find at flea market

Tonomachi

Picked this up last weekend at the flea market. It is in its original frame and on the back is written, "USS New Mexico Golden Gate 1929 before modernization L. K. Cleveland Lcdr U.S.N. (Ret) 17 Oct 1956".

post-1389-0-74052500-1539277427_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool picture! I have a number of pictures of her sister ship - the USS Mississippi (BB-41) from 1915 through WWI. I inherited the first in my collection from my Grandfather - who served on her and took pride in pointing out his own image standing by the rail on the deck in the panoramic picture he left me when he passed away. One of my favorite pix is a view of her passing through the new San Miguel lock of the Panama Canal, just 30 days after the panorama picture was taken in 1918. Easy to spot pictures of them in their pre-WWII configuration - with the open-frame stacks and the two bi-wing aircraft perched on top of their big guns!

Here is a small detail of my Grandfather's panorama pic of BB-41 - the USS Mississippi (New Mexico Class Battleship) taken in 1918 at Norfolk, VA. Showing the aircraft launcher on the #2 gun (if uploader works):

post-200659-0-13574500-1540677249_thumb.jpg