Original Vietnam Graffitied Helmet Cover: Vet Mail-back

AnDuc49

Had the luck of seeing this the other day. Was talking with one of my teachers when he mentioned that his father was a Vietnam Vet and mailed several items home, including his helmet cover.

The helmet cover belonged to SPC August "Gus" Stackhouse of New Jersey. He was in the Army from 1964 to 1968. After serving a stint in Germany, he was sent to Vietnam. After working initially as a mechanic, he was attached to an infantry unit of the 173rd AB and earned the Bronze Star.

The cover itself is made of twill fabric. With a production date of late 1964, early 1965, this fits within the time frame of his service. Most of the graffiti was done in one sitting towards the end of his tour, but there are numerous parts that have faded and were re-inked several times (this is more evident in hand). The band is also graffitied heavily, with a count down and several phrases on both sides.

This was pulled from the original packaging (envelope which also contained a SPC patch and several medals) which the cover was mailed home in. I did not take a photo of the envelope though

Overall, it's a really cool piece which has solid provenance behind it.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did

post-154926-0-79133200-1539203692_thumb.jpg

What a great piece of history. A friend that I work with was in the 173rd. He has spoken about some of his experiences, especially Hill 875.

Frank

Thank you all for the kind comments! It's indeed a fantastic piece of history and I'm glad that I was able to photograph it for posterity

Note** This is not the packaging which the helmet came in, but a different package that was sent home by SPC Stackhouse during his service.
If you look closely, the "Cherry Hill" in the recipient's address matches with the Cherry Hill written on the helmet

post-154926-0-23461100-1539286370_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for the kind comments! It's indeed a fantastic piece of history and I'm glad that I was able to photograph it for posterity

Note** This is not the packaging which the helmet came in, but a different package that was sent home by SPC Stackhouse during his service.

If you look closely, the "Cherry Hill" in the recipient's address matches with the Cherry Hill written on the helmet

Looks like the box/cover for the tour book