Admiral Byrd group on ebay

joeclown

I don’t know if anybody else who is bidding got this email. But I did, hopefully they mean they’re just not going to sell the miniature medal of honor and ribbons and not physically cut them off.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received another email prior to getting pulled that thevribbons and medals will be gifted to the highest bidder. The text:

Hi, Thank you for your interest in this auction. I understand your concern. I have received MANY phone calls and emails regarding this RARE and amazing historical grouping. That said, we will NOT end this auction. We will NOT accept ANY offer to cancel and sell it offline. We will also NOT offer or accept a by it now. If this auction disappears it will be relisted without the questionable medals, and those medals will STAY with this lot, where they belong. They will not be offered for sale, but gifted to the high bidder of the auction when it is sold. I hope this is clear, and all the bidders understand WE WILL NOT SEPARATE ANY MEDALS, now or if this auction is relisted.

Technically, the sellers would be much further ahead listing this group with an auction house like Mohawk Arms that can provide high visibility. First, they cut off the MOH and MOH ribbons...then relist it and eBay will take it down because of the Navy Cross. Then, they'll take off the Navy Cross ribbons and then relist it...each time, removing more and more of the group.

Or, they could go through a real auction house and actually realize some decent money off it.

But that's just my opinion. :)

So how much less is the value without the medal and ribbons?

Who knows, a lot of people I talked to never thought it would even hit this high. It is truly a shame. I’m watching to see if it actually does get relisted. As I’m sure lots of people are.

2 guys took it to 50K and I have a feeling they are " fake bids" . The 3rd high bid was down at the 15K level.

Some People will often bid on items they know will be pulled just to mess with the sellers.

Kurt

2 guys took it to 50K and I have a feeling they are " fake bids" .  The 3rd high bid was down at the 15K level.

Some People will often bid on items they know will be pulled just to mess with the sellers. 

Kurt

Someone I know apparently knows who had high bid and he was serious.

uniformcollector

I decided to pull out of the auction once it passed what I was willing to pay, but according to the seller, everything will be sold with the group. Regardless of what they officially say, there is a guarantee that all MOH items will be included. As an aside, after speaking with them, they seem to have a skewed view of the lot. Don’t get me wrong, this is an incredibly historic group, but the auction house has said that this is the most important set of military artifacts ever offered for sale. In my opinion, that might be taking a bit far!

CNY Militaria

I decided to pull out of the auction once it passed what I was willing to pay, but according to the seller, everything will be sold with the group. Regardless of what they officially say, there is a guarantee that all MOH items will be included. As an aside, after speaking with them, they seem to have a skewed view of the lot. Dont get me wrong, this is an incredibly historic group, but the auction house has said that this is the most important set of military artifacts ever offered for sale. In my opinion, that might be taking a bit far!

Probably more likely the most significant military lot THEYVE ever offered and thus by their logic must be the best on the market anywhere. Its not in common for some sellers with nice items to have the notion that theirs in particular is or was the greatest ever.

Most of you do realize the MOH items are illegal to sell and IF you were an auction winner of this group and they are included chances are you will have a visit from the feds. If I recall correct even a single MOH ribbon is covered by the law such as it is.

As far as the miniature medal goes I have never seen one or heard of a sale of one so not really sure where that might end up but I would not want to take a chance on it these days.

50K bid. Not surprised. I remember when this whole collection was sold and prices were high for the time frame then and yes prices would have gone up I would hope for all of us by now.

It ( the collection ) is a extremely rare and desirable group and as an ex- Polar collector I would think it deserves a top ten most wanted in the medals and aviation collecting arena.

Very possible it being discussed here led to it being reported. Wouldn't be the first time. The Fikes of the world certainly lurk here

That said, I can't believe how many people are posting that they bid. We have seen the FBI pursue all manner of MOH...not just full sized. Your personal interpretation of the law is useless unless you want to pony up the 10+k it would cost to fight in court

Very possible it being discussed here led to it being reported. Wouldn't be the first time. The Fikes of the world certainly lurk here

Honestly would not be surprised. This is why I don’t share live auctions anymore. Not because of what they contain but to many people like Fike. I don’t have a problem with things being returned to families but some would rather it be in a trash can vs being taken care of.

Or the 150+ watchers of the auction when it closed. :)

uniformcollector

Probably more likely the most significant military lot THEYVE ever offered and thus by their logic must be the best on the market anywhere. Its not in common for some sellers with nice items to have the notion that theirs in particular is or was the greatest ever.

Good point! I suppose the insane amount of contact they must have received would only add to what theyre thinking.