Admiral Byrd group on ebay

joeclown

uniformcollector

Up over $13,000. Any final estimates? 13 was around what I expected, but we still have days to go and the biggest bidders are probably still waiting with 220 watchers.

I'd love to bid, but I'm not rich and don't feel like going to jail. And not even for the MOH...I like the Antarctic angle

I honestly think 25k currently. If i had the money, id be in to win. Just to make sure it stays in the US.

I had someone ask me why DSM is in front of NX. Was this the correct order at that time or maybe his choice?

I don't think it'll hit 25...I think it'll stall out in the next day or so,then maybe see one or two Snipes at the end, seems to happen a lot with exciting items...I honestly think some people bid just to say they bid on something Uber rare while at shows

Honestly, while I love the minis, I would be happy just winning the triple Antarctic ribbon...that one is the Antarctic collectors trifecta in a single row

They are going to be bummed if ebay pulls this. But smart bidders will have noticed they put their business name in the item description and it is very easy to find their non-ebay store to contact them: http://www.riicsinc.com

I'll bet there's some big offers in their email

Salvage Sailor

A little something to look at while the auction is running.....

The Admiral and his command ship in Antarctica 1955 establishing the Little America base camp for Operation Deep Freeze I & II

800px-Richard-E-Byrd-6854e2.jpg

Advance Base 5 1 Plaque 1957 001.jpg

USNS WYANDOT 001.jpg

Operation-Deep-Freeze-Wyandot-KA92-3617 02.jpg

A little something to look at while the auction is running.....

The Admiral and his command ship in Antarctica 1955 establishing the Little America base camp for Operation Deep Freeze I & II

Here's some photos and other items from that first Task Force 43 operation in 1955: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/226198-operation-deep-freeze-1-task-force-43-1955/

Salvage Sailor

Nice USS ARNEB (AKA-92) group Bob,

Thanks for posting that as I haven't seen it in a while.

Here's some more from the ARNEB & WYANDOT grouping I have

AKA 56 USS ARNEB 001.jpg

USNS WYANDOT 011.jpg

AKA 56 USS ARNEB 001a.jpg

Operation-Deep-Freeze-Wyandot-KA92-6839 02.jpg

There was a special last night about the Antarctic trip. One plane on survey had to make emergency landing and several died while on the ground. Also the same group got back on the plane and hopped/flew 10 miles to he rescued by ship.

They are going to be bummed if ebay pulls this. But smart bidders will have noticed they put their business name in the item description and it is very easy to find their non-ebay store to contact them: http://www.riicsinc.com

I'll bet there's some big offers in their email

OMFG. small world I KNOW this dude who is selling this....I used to deliver his paper when I was a kid!

I love the Tiffany Cross MOH. I also love the Silver life saving medal before his DSM and Navy Cross. I know at one time the Navy DSM was higher up than the Navy Cross but I never thought that the Silver life saving medal was second in line at any time.

4starchris

With the bidding at over $50,000, I think that this auction just turned into a joke.

I could not agree more. :rolleyes: The higher it goes the more publicity it gets and that's when big brother will get interested. It is no longer an "under the radar" auction.

147 bids and that is from only 8 bidders and only 3-4 of them seem serious, wonder if seller is jacking it up, also wonder when ebay will remove it lol

It's gone....

attachicon.gifend.jpg

Because ebay still has a reference to the listing, I'd guess that the seller - not ebay - ended it. My experience in having listings deleted by ebay is that all reference to the listing is removed.

Very surprised since EBAY loves the almighty dollar and that would have been quite a few for them.

If this sold for $50,000, ebay fees would total about $4110 (paypal would be another $1450).

Ebay takes in about $10 billion a year so they probably won't be too sad :)