US M1916 (Russian rifle) sling question

tthen

Evening gents,

Just looking for some info regarding the original sling supplied for these rifles. I've seen pictures of sailors using rope and original slings. I have a US issue Remington Nagant and have no illusions of finding an original sling but would like to get close. My question is was the original sling leather or web material.

I found a leather one on Ebay that looks OK if leather is what the originals were.

Thanks

Tom

Charlie Flick

Tom:

I don't know the answer to your question to a certainty, but in the image below of the US 339th Infantry on the way to Archangel it appears to me that their Mosin-Nagant rifles have Kerr No-Buckl slings on them. The image, of course, is not perfectly clear so it's possible that another type of sling was in use here.

Regards,

Charlie

M1891 Mosin Nagant rifle of 339th Inf Regt on way to Archangel.png

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for your response. My only question regarding the Kerr sling is how it mounts to say an '03 or a M1917. Both those rifles have swivels while the mounts on the Nagant use a slot in the stock, which necessitates those goofy dog collar leather straps. You can see them in the photo you supplied. The straps look leather to my aging eyes. Another interesting thing in your photo is one of the soldiers has what looks like a bayonet frog to mount the bayonet to his belt. Did not think any provisions were ever made for carrying the bayonet anywhere other than on the rifle. (soviets, go figure!)

Thanks again Charlie I think this picture answers my question

Tom

The rifles left the Remington and N.E.W. factories without slings. Slings were a using unit item. As can be seen in photos of the USS Olympia landing force they had no rifle slings and used belts, rope or what ever. The US 1916 (Kerr) sling seems to have been used by some army units, My French / Finnish / Russian / US M1891 parts gun has heavy wire sling swivels and takes a M1916 sling quite well.

• 4 weeks later...

My 1891 NEW, which probably never left the USA, came with this very fragile sling. I used some Pecards on it many years ago and it prevented it from disintegrating. The collars are in good shape. Hope this helps.

post-4631-0-19844800-1541614121.jpg