Unknown 1870s Palmer brace system style double-haversack

agate hunter

agate hunter

Need some help on this one. Has anyone seen one before and know anything about it?

The Palmer brace system was patented in 1874, same time as this pack. The Palmer system was a leather suspender system that connected to the 1872 belt and cartridge boxes, with a clothing bag and haversack secured at the rear. It was deemed too cumbersome for field use and not adopted for service as far as I'm aware.

This pack's suspension is very similar to the Palmer brace system, but slightly different. I have not seen anything related to what this pack may be.
Is it an experimental pack system from the time?? The double pouch system is interesting, it's almost like a 'clothing bag' and haversack worn as part of the Palmer system from 1874 were combined into one pack.

This is from a friend's collection, he made the ink markings on it when he purchased it in 1965.

Looking forward to finding out the story on this pack.

post-10495-0-09225200-1538727822_thumb.jpg

post-10495-0-53011700-1538727833_thumb.jpg

post-10495-0-97596500-1538727842_thumb.jpg

post-10495-0-13683000-1538727853_thumb.jpg

Very interesting. My guess would be that this was one of Lt Palmer's prototype sets. I saw a similar set on eBay many years ago but it went too high for my taste. I did save the pictures though.

post-192-0-00750900-1538783573.jpg

This set has the separate haversack and clothing bag. I have a complete set of the issued 1874 equipment. I'll see if I can get my camera out and post some pics.

Tim

post-192-0-95668700-1538783659.jpg

agate hunter

Wow, thanks for those photos Tim!
Can you make out from the images you have copies of the handwriting on the pack? Looks similar to the handwriting on the left pouch of the pack I have.
Remember what the set you saved pictures of ended up going for?
Perhaps the lack of the "US" means this is a prototype as well.

The leather straps are all riveted on my pack, the example you showed looks like they were loose.

Wow, thanks for those photos Tim!

Can you make out from the images you have copies of the handwriting on the pack? Looks similar to the handwriting on the left pouch of the pack I have.

Remember what the set you saved pictures of ended up going for?

Perhaps the lack of the "US" means this is a prototype as well.

The leather straps are all riveted on my pack, the example you showed looks like they were loose.

Here is the writing on the packs. You might be right about the "US", the set I have has the "US" on both the haversack and the clothing bag.

Tim

post-192-0-31673000-1539044054.jpg