G.I. 12 Ga. Brass Case 00 Buckshot & Box

usmce4

I collect GI 30-06 and 50 BMG pretty much exclusively, so I'm not really up on 12 Ga. However, this is the second time some 12 Ga Brass Case 00 Buck found it's way to me. The first time the box was blank, this one has a description. The bottom line says "FOR USE IN HUNTING SMALL GAME".

I'm 99% positive I recall reading somewhere that either during WW II or Vietnam the liberals were complaining that it wasn't nice to shoot the enemy with shotguns, so the gov't put that line on (I guess the enemy was considered "Big Game" so this was OK with the bleeding hearts types).

So here's my two-part question: Is my recollection correct and does that make these indeed GI issue and worth adding to my collection? If they are what I hope, what would the value be?

Note the box is in poor shape, there are only 10 rounds in it but the rounds are perfect - no corrosion or spotting on the brass or primers. The cardboard or whatever it is at the top of the case appears treated with varnish or something similar - waterproofing, I assume.

Thanks for any input

Art

post-168413-0-66161900-1538595502.jpg

post-168413-0-41926600-1538595503_thumb.jpg

Found my own answer - glad my memory perseveres

I really think I read it in a factual article someplace, but here is mention in a "for sale" listing

If anybody is interested:

13767 BOX WW2 WINCHESTER 25 ROUNDS 12 GA BRASS CASE 00 BUCK AMMUNITION FOR TRENCH GUNS - Nice clean full box or 25 rounds of the brass cased 00 buck ammunition used with the Trench and Riot guns during WW2 and after. Most of these boxes are well used and have problems with burst seams at corners, etc. This has a smudged area on the top as shown in the photo, otherwise is excellent throughout. The “For use in hunting small game” marking was used briefly while the JAG types argued about the legality of using buckshot in combat, but procurement continued and it was issued regardless of the marking, mixed under the same stock numbers as the ammo without that marking. As nice as box as we have had in several years. Sealed in plastic for display. $450.00

His box is considerably nicer than mine, but at least I know this is GI stuff and maybe now I'll expand to collecting 12 Ga as well

Art

post-168413-0-18204900-1538607488.jpg

Charlie Flick

Hi Art:

If you are becoming interested in USGI shotgun ammo you might want to look at this old thread which can now be found in the Firearms Forum archived threads:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16671-usgi-shotgun-ammunition/&do=findComment&comment=113359

Regards,

Charlie

Hi Art:

If you are becoming interested in USGI shotgun ammo you might want to look at this old thread which can now be found in the Firearms Forum archived threads:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16671-usgi-shotgun-ammunition/&do=findComment&comment=113359

Regards,

Charlie

Will do

Thanks, Art

Hi Art:

Regards,

Charlie

WOW! I feel like Alice when she went thru the looking glass!

I knew aerial gunners were taught how to lead a plane by shooting skeet and/or trap, and I knew .410s were issued with survival gear and, of course, I knew there was 12 Ga 00 Buck but I had NO idea it was such a varied field.

Judging by the posts, it seems Winchester was the only maker of the brass cases, is that so? And are the boxes marked "....small game" as scarce as the seller I quoted above suggests?

Thanks again,

Art

Answered my own question (AGAIN).

Dug thru my "junk boxes" and came up with these - 3 Rem-UMC and 1 UMC. The UMC is loaded and looks to have the top waterproofed, but oddly enough is not crimped at the top. By the age, I'm assuming that one is WW I era (?)

Art

post-168413-0-24524200-1538692420_thumb.jpg

post-168413-0-92910500-1538692420.jpg

Shotguns and various gages of ammuntion were used in many scenerios, here is a US Navy example. All those thousands of sailors that manned guns aboard ship and shore installations were trained with shotguns. Typically I think the shotgun has been associated with the training of aerial gunners of the USAAF, but don't forget about Naval aerial gunners.

post-56-0-24896100-1538747293_thumb.jpg

Shotguns and various gages of ammuntion were used in many scenerios, here is a US Navy example. All those thousands of sailors that manned guns aboard ship and shore installations were trained with shotguns. Typically I think the shotgun has been associated with the training of aerial gunners of the USAAF, but don't forget about Naval aerial gunners.

attachicon.gifshotgun.jpg

Is there a date on this photo? Interesting all the mod11's with Cutts Compensators.

• 3 weeks later...

Answered my own question (AGAIN).

Dug thru my "junk boxes" and came up with these - 3 Rem-UMC and 1 UMC. The UMC is loaded and looks to have the top waterproofed, but oddly enough is not crimped at the top. By the age, I'm assuming that one is WW I era (?)

Art

Can anybody give me any idea if the UMC round is indeed WW I? Or Pre WW I? I'm assuming it must be as Remington bought UMC in 1912 and changed the markings to "REM-UMC"

--- Just so I know what I've got

Thanks, Art

• 4 weeks later...

attachicon.gifshotgun.jpg

Great pic!!

Also, 12 gauge was (possibly still is?) used by USN armed brow/QD watches and SRT teams..early 90's, I carried one for 4-6 hours a day in port when on Armed Brow/Quarterdeck watch.

I don't know a ton about the brass ammo, but I do remember seeing in the after action reports on Guadalcanal the Marines had tried paper shells, and they expanded with the moisture and wouldn't cycle or fire right.

They stated that shoguns were useless in the jungle unless they would make brass shells.