Corporal Henry S. Palmer was born in Hinesburgh, Vermont, on July 26, 1833. His profession was listed as “Farmer.” He enlisted on July 30, 1863 at Ogdensburgh New York as a Private. Palmer was mustered into Captain Trowbridge’s Company 14th New York Volunteers on August 29, 1863. On October 13, 1863 Company A was ordered to New York and assigned to garrison duty in New York Harbor. On October 31, 1863 Palmer appeared on the Muster Roll of Company A, 14th Regiment, New York Heavy Artillery. Palmer was promoted to Corporal in March 1864. On April 23, 1864 the 14th New York was attached to Provisional Brigade, 1st Division, 9th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac. Palmer served in the crossing of the Rapidan, Battle of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Spottsylvania Court House, North Anna River, Line of the Pamunkey, Totopotomy, Cold Harbor, Bethesda Church, and before Petersburg. Palmer was serving as a stretcher bearer in the division ambulance corps when he was wounded in the first assault of Petersburg on June 17, 1864. Palmer was treated for his wounds and typhoid at Harewood General Hospital in Washington D.C. He was hospitalized until he was discharged for wounds on May 17, 1865. Henry S. Palmer died in Saint Regis Falls, Franklin County, New York, on September 14, 1905.
This U.S. Model 1832, dated 1841, foot artillery short-sword has a 6-inch solid brass hilt, a 4-inch cross guard, and a blade 19 inches in length. This model was the first sword contracted by the U.S. with the Ames Manufacturing Company of Springfield (later Chicopee), Massachusetts, with production starting in 1832. The buff sword belt has a New York buckle. As a personal side arm, it was intended for use by the regular or foot artillery regiments of the United States Army and remained in service until 1872 for use of foot artillerymen. The cross guard has Henry Palmer scratched on and HP scratched on the other side. H and P are also scratched into the round ends of the guard.