WW I Tags, just found in France

Brian Keith

A buddy of mine visited France for some of the 100th anniversaries of WW I. He purchased this pair of identify Disks, of PVT. Ralph L. Evans, HQ. Co. 110 Infantry. Not a matched pair, but found in the same place in the 1970's. I found this information: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/60736792/ralph-lee-evans/photo#view-photo=148070530

Seems to match up. Thanks for looking,

BKW

post-1549-0-60615800-1538195698.jpg

post-1549-0-62453200-1538195750.jpg

Hi,

This is a nice set of tags that do actually go together. Remember that many soldiers were issued multiple sets of tags during the war. In the case of Evans, he probably first received a tag stamped with his name, rank, and the unit information of the Pennsylvania NG regiment to which he originally belonged. The tag in the second picture would have been given to him sometime around October 1917 when the infantry regiments of the 28th Division received new Federal designations. Note that this tag has the original company he belonged to (Company E) with HQ Co. later added after he was transferred. Finally, the tag in the first photo was probably added a little later to replace the tag with the Pennsylvania NG info stamped on it.

There is a good chance that both of these tags were discarded together in France when Evans received a new set stamped with only his name and serial number. This would have been done to comply with new regulations issued on 20 May 1918.

-hist3891

Thanks so much for the explanation, great info! When I said they weren't a matched pair, what I meant was they weren't made by the same person at the same time.

Best Regards,

BKW

Ralph Lee Evans

Birth 21 Nov 1898

Death 12 Apr 1976 (aged 77)

Burial Maplewood Cemetery

Durham, Durham County, North Carolina, USA