Show your Vietnam helmets

trenchfoot

Add it in here Dean.

It would be a great additional story.

Sounds good to me O

Ill add additional photography and the book to add to the story

This helmet came from the US a good few years ago and was acquired by a very well known English dealer. As can be seen the helmet was obviously shipped back as a momentum of his near death experience.

Incredible the bullet has entered the right side, travelled between the liner and the helmet and made an exit when the liner was on the straight after the curve.

I’m guessing the trajectory of the bullet made it follow the inside between the helmet and liner then when the curve ended it tailed of out the side.

You can see in the pic of the top of the helmet the line the round had travelled !!

It must have been the luckiest day ever for this soldier/marine.

Holding this helmet in my hands made me experience something very special for the first time in my years of collecting, I was holding the M1 helmet that saved this persons life and let him hopefully go home to his family.

That’s quite an amazing thing !

This helmet speaks for itself, everything is correct for being combat used in theatre. I won’t go into detail about the cover and oroginal Camo band as the pics have all the details. What’s neat is the chain that was attached so it could hang in the Vets den or garage. It’s a super nice touch and testiment to its importance.

This helmet is in the book battle damage and has the centre page spread and front cover.

I’ve posted the name on the headband but none have been able to identify the name as it’s faded. Hopefully someone here can help me find MR Lucky

His ASN is

RA 14949185 or RA 14748185 or RA 14749185

Names could be William Frein, Liam W Frein

Pic of headband included

Enjoy ! And thanks for looking

I would like to thank Owen - Kammo man on this one for help on finding the original seller so we can hopefully find the vet and for also looking this one over for me

- Dean

You are one lucky duck Dean. That's a wonderment!

Thanks for the share.

Marc

Cheers Marc

I feel lucky to have it

- Dean

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Wow some cool ones in this thread, especially love Archangel IDM's and theguiltyone's.

I don't have any unpressed with Vietnam helmets, but they have been together for a long time, even if taken apart, so I feel they will not dilute this thread too much.

post-153751-0-79910900-1502430843_thumb.jpg

This one I took the liner out of the shell, maybe I shouldn't have. Liner has 26th ID SSI and 169th IR DUI decals on it. Cover has a SSGT rank drawn on and L.F.C written 3 times. Being a national guard unit I do not think it is likely that it went to Vietnam. I don't see how it could get from a national guard unit to someone going to Vietnam.

post-153751-0-76430000-1539576783.jpg

This one was taken apart by the seller, after taking pics IIRC. Gut feeling says this was used in Vietnam. Rust stains on cover match the shell exactly. Chinstraps are pretty clean looking, who knows.1968 dated suspension is pretty clean, who knows. Sweatband is pretty discolored, don't know how to read the date on it. Liner has some dried gunk inside that seems to match some gunk in the shell. Outside of the liner has 48 or y8 written on it in chalk. Shell is super beat up, lots of rust, repainted once or twice, lots of flaking paint. The cover has a name written on it very faintly on the inside. There is a lot of writing 4-5 lines. If I could just make it out I am sure I could find the guy, it must be his full name and a bit extra. All I can somewhat make out is Milbra Dale.

Nice one Marc, any history?

Unfortunately not Justin, ebay pick up from a seller with no history to share.

thanks

marc

Unfortunately not Justin, ebay pick up from a seller with no history to share.

thanks

marc

Cool lid and Interesting for sure Marc even without the history

- Dean

Wow some cool ones in this thread, especially love Archangel IDM's and theguiltyone's.

I don't have any unpressed with Vietnam helmets, but they have been together for a long time, even if taken apart, so I feel they will not dilute this thread too much.

This one I took the liner out of the shell, maybe I shouldn't have. Liner has 26th ID SSI and 169th IR DUI decals on it. Cover has a SSGT rank drawn on and L.F.C written 3 times. Being a national guard unit I do not think it is likely that it went to Vietnam. I don't see how it could get from a national guard unit to someone going to Vietnam.

helmet.jpg

This one was taken apart by the seller, after taking pics IIRC. Gut feeling says this was used in Vietnam. Rust stains on cover match the shell exactly. Chinstraps are pretty clean looking, who knows.1968 dated suspension is pretty clean, who knows. Sweatband is pretty discolored, don't know how to read the date on it. Liner has some dried gunk inside that seems to match some gunk in the shell. Outside of the liner has 48 or y8 written on it in chalk. Shell is super beat up, lots of rust, repainted once or twice, lots of flaking paint. The cover has a name written on it very faintly on the inside. There is a lot of writing 4-5 lines. If I could just make it out I am sure I could find the guy, it must be his full name and a bit extra. All I can somewhat make out is Milbra Dale.

2 fantastic helmets Cap

Real killer pieces you got there

Thanks for the show

- Dean

The reason why this helmet is becoming my favorite is it is true about a bullet and helmet liner. My grandfather was with the 101st 327th glider Co. B in WW2 and this same thing happened to him, the bullet went in the front and rode around the helmet between the helmet and liner and stopped on the opposite side. I asked him what he did with the helmet and he said he found another helmet and threw the damaged one down.

Marty