Show your Vietnam helmets

trenchfoot

These are my three Vietnam helmets. The first two pictures are from the same helmet and I believe is an early marine helmet due to the early age of the dated parts (the latest date I could find was from 1965). The other I believe is an army helmet from a bit later in the war (around 1970 or so) since most of the dated parts of it were made at the latest 1969. While these two are unmessed with graffiti examples the third one was made from pieces (chinstraps and helmet cover) found inside my dad's sea bag from his time in Vietnam.

post-159863-0-28226100-1538015744.jpg

post-159863-0-24570000-1538015758.jpg

post-159863-0-54019000-1538015793.jpg

post-159863-0-47343400-1538015824.jpg

These are my three Vietnam helmets. The first two pictures are from the same helmet and I believe is an early marine helmet due to the early age of the dated parts (the latest date I could find was from 1965). The other I believe is an army helmet from a bit later in the war (around 1970 or so) since most of the dated parts of it were made at the latest 1969. While these two are unmessed with graffiti examples the third one was made from pieces (chinstraps and helmet cover) found inside my dad's sea bag from his time in Vietnam.

Nice helmets! Its great you have your Dad's items

Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 5.

Seabees helmet with grafitti...the helmet shell is painted gray.

NMCB 5 had six consecutive deployments in Viet Nam.

post-7268-0-66365900-1538275123_thumb.jpg

Salvage Sailor

I posted mine over 10 years ago somewhere on the forum. It's fairly clean as I kept it with my web gear aboard ship and only used it on the boats. I had the inner tube band under a Mitchell camo strap just because I liked the look of it. I still have it in my seabag along with my web gear around here somewhere.

005.jpg

006.jpg

Mitchell Cover 5.jpg

Mitchell Cover 6.jpg

Mitchell Cover 7.jpg

Mitchell Cover 8.jpg

Mitchell Cover 9005.jpg

Mitchell Cover on Liner.jpg

Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 5.

Seabees helmet with grafitti...the helmet shell is painted gray.

NMCB 5 had six consecutive deployments in Viet Nam.

Woah, thats super cool! If you ever want to let that go, tell me. I've caught the Vietnam helmet bug again.

I posted mine over 10 years ago somewhere on the forum. It's fairly clean as I kept it with my web gear aboard ship and only used it on the boats. I had the inner tube band under a Mitchell camo strap just because I liked the look of it. I still have it in my seabag along with my web gear around here somewhere.

Thanks for sharing! Was it normal for sailors to be issued helmet covers in VN?

a nice color photo of a ARVN helmet from 1965 painted yellow with black stripes and a red circle on the back.

Do you own that magazine ?

owen