PLAINFIELD M1 CARBINE-DOES THIS SPRING BELONG HERE?

BEAST

A friend of mine has a Plainfield carbine that he says does not fire. We took it apart and in the trigger housing is a spring that I don't recognize. It is right below the hole for the hammer spring. I tried to get a few photos, but I'm not sure they are much help. Can anyone recognize this spring? Thanks!

post-203-0-65635800-1537924980.jpg

post-203-0-33180600-1537925003_thumb.jpg

Looks funny sitting in the hole, as one of the coils of the spring looks bent....Not sure what purpose it (spring) serves sitting in the hole like that.....You should look for site that sell gun parts and see of they have an explosion drawing(s) of carbines....It may help answer your question....Bodes

The spring looks to be properly installed from here. When you say it wont fire what do you mean? Does the trigger and sear release the hammer allowing the hammer to strike the firing pin? If so, the trigger or its spring likely aren't the problem. Has the bolt been dissambled and the parts thoroughly cleaned? I'd start there.

Thanks folks for the responses! I did go to a site with a breakdown and saw the spring.

Im not sure what my friend meant when he said it wouldnt fire. I put it through the function checks and everything seems to function properly. Ill breakdown the bolt and see how it looks.

I may need to take it to a range and see if the pin is striking the primer properly.

Beast, Could be ammunition or head spacing problem....If you have the luxary, try another bolt if it still doesn't shoot after taking it apart....Let us know when you find something out, Bodes

Take the trigger housing out of the stock and off the barreled receiver, cock the hammer back and then pull the trigger, if it snaps forward with force then you know the problem is not with the trigger group. Look at the following to eliminate possible causes of not firing. Make sure the bolt does not have thick grease/cosmoline inside, oiled parts is okay. Does the firing pin move freely, back and forth, in the bolt? Has the FP tip been damaged? When the bolt slams forward, does it go completely in battery [bolt lug rotated completely down, to the right]? I hope these help.

Chuck

Take the trigger housing out of the stock and off the barreled receiver, cock the hammer back and then pull the trigger, if it snaps forward with force then you know the problem is not with the trigger group. Look at the following to eliminate possible causes of not firing. Make sure the bolt does not have thick grease/cosmoline inside, oiled parts is okay. Does the firing pin move freely, back and forth, in the bolt? Has the FP tip been damaged? When the bolt slams forward, does it go completely in battery [bolt lug rotated completely down, to the right]? I hope these help.

Chuck

Chuck, Thanks for the response. The bolt lug does appear to rotate completely, but I will need to check the tip of the bolt. I placed a wooden dowel down the barrel (no rounds of course) and was able to "fire" the dowel out of the barrel, so it appears that the firing pin is moving freely and has some power.

• 1 month later...

Took it to the range and it is a smooth, sweet shooting rifle! Not sure what happend when my friend had it, but ran about 50 rounds with only one jam and I think that was a problem with the magazine. Thanks for everyones input!