Framing paper?

tdogchristy90

Quick question. When framing a paper item like a letter, how do you go about matting it and still maintaining your original dementions of the letter.

Do you just have your matt overlap the letter just enough to secure it but not enough to take away from the original look of the letter? (I did a quick search and found 1/4 of an inch seems standard, thoughts)

I hope this makes sense. Thanks again for any help.

Hello,

I have framed a few paper items. In your case cutting a mat 1/4 " smaller than the measured dimensions of the letter will hide 1/8" under the edges of the mat opening all around. This can be done with careful placement. I have used clear photo corners to hold the document underneath without adhesive. This would be the most straightforward way, I think. It usually looks alright.

Otherwise, you might find a mylar sleeve to fit the item. Cut mat board to the same dimension . Glue the sleeve to the mat board. Place your item in the sleeve.

Prepare the display with a double staggered mat and bottom board that gives you enough space to place your item in the framed field. The bottom board (base to which you glue item previously prepared ) looks best, I find, as a contrasting color to the outer mat, say khaki or army blue surrounded by a white or cream colored mat. I might leave 1-2 inches space around the document and the mat boards 2 inches wide around that. This method would allow the full document to be on display while the double mat keeps a space between it and the glass surface of any frame you use. The frame you have may dictate actual dimensions. Also, cutting double mats can be tricky. Gluing the mylar sleeve down without wrinkles can be a pain, also. Spray adhesive may be best. Good luck !

... I have used clear photo corners to hold the document underneath without adhesive. This would be the most straightforward way, I think. It usually looks alright.

^ That, is what I would do, and is what museums usually do.