Is this M2 D Loop helmet legit?

stealthytyler

Here are the proper measurements of a D-Loop. This was taken on a helmet in which one side was broken off but, it provided a nice way to measure the distance. Standard: 1 13/32" Metric: 36mm

HH Airborne 2.jpg

Burning Hazard

Agreed with the others, with better pictures there's something off about this helmet. It's looking like a high quality reproduction; whoever made it knew what they were doing.

Pat

So it's safe to say the helmet is 100% fabricated?

Post some pictures of the stitching on the chinstraps and a shot of the long strap with the buckle. Is there any age on the nickel snaps that connect into the liner ?

Rich

Post some pictures of the stitching on the chinstraps and a shot of the long strap with the buckle. Is there any age on the nickel snaps that connect into the liner ?

Rich

There's some aging to the snaps, here's some pictures of the stitching.

post-127879-0-87426800-1538146590_thumb.jpg

post-127879-0-78127400-1538146603_thumb.jpg

post-127879-0-13714800-1538146614_thumb.jpg

post-127879-0-42679900-1538146630_thumb.jpg

I was browsing reproduction M2 loops online and found one that is for sale on TopPots. The feet look identical to me. That said, there are reproduction loops that match the one in question. Just an observation.

post-131595-0-90846900-1538156496_thumb.jpg

As Justin said, straps are reproduction. Plus, the bartacking is incorrect. Agree with Stelth, looks like a Top Pots(TP for brevity). Said it earlier, it's a nicely done reproduction.

As Justin said, straps are reproduction. Plus, the bartacking is incorrect. Agree with Stelth, looks like a Top Pots(TP for brevity). Said it earlier, it's a nicely done reproduction.

Just wondering what is wrong with the bartacking? Looks similar to what I have seen on legitimate helmet straps. I am not saying the straps are legitimate, they look a little fuzzy to me as well, just inquiring about the bartacking.

If this helmet had no chinstraps and the main focus was just on the loops, what would the consensus be?

Still fake based on distance of the feet & size of steel used in the loop. However, I am guessing the discussion would be edgy since this reproduction was done very well.

Just wondering what is wrong with the bartacking? Looks similar to what I have seen on legitimate helmet straps. I am not saying the straps are legitimate, they look a little fuzzy to me as well, just inquiring about the bartacking.

There are several cross stitches in original bartacking which is not seen here. The photo is a reference in order to see the pattern.

20180930_131422.jpg

• 2 months later...

Many years ago this seller sold me "US WWII genuine, original, authentic M1 helmet liner". And what I received? 1960s Belgian liner.

There are more USMFers who have as bad as possible experience with this seller (at least Cesar ccmax if I remember correctly).

:unsure:

Yep. It's back up. I returned it to the guy and I guess he said he read this thread and disagreed. He didn't post it back up until now, waiting for the heat to die down I guess.

Stan is welcome to disagree.

His description says: "This MAY be an original D-loop" but, the truth IS much different.