Is this M2 D Loop helmet legit?

stealthytyler

Saw this on the bay last night and it sold almost instantly for $500. I do not know how to authenticate these para helmets. Not my interest. What are your thoughts? Did the buyer make like a bandit or pay high dollar for a reproduction?

post-131595-0-35619000-1537829384_thumb.jpg

I'm no helmet guy but this one sure looks legit to me. I will wait till the others weigh in, but if it is indeed legit, someone absolutely STOLE this one!

Those feet on the bales look shorter than the reproduction ones, and they dont look like stainless steel either. Its hard to tell without it being in your hands, but it looks good from here.

I'm just not convinced. Chin straps look weird and kind of new compared to the rest of the helmet.

The chinstraps jumped out at me too. They look a bit soft right?

The heatstamp was not visible, combined with the repaint and suspect chinstraps would rule this out for me. The description was very honest and he was open about the possibility of it not being genuine.

For $500 someone bought either a high end copy or something they will always have a doubt about.

Rich

That buyer was me. I'm waiting for it to come in the mail, he has a 5 day return policy so not much of a gamble. Thanks, I'll update with pictures.

That buyer was me. I'm waiting for it to come in the mail, he has a 5 day return policy so not much of a gamble. Thanks, I'll update with pictures.

Congrats and good luck. Keep us posted once you have it in hand.

Burning Hazard

Nice, please post some detailed pics of the D-bails, chinstraps, chinstrap hardware and heat stamp. Very curious to see if this one's legit or not.

Pat

The feet look kind of big to me and the bails thick.

I had a D Loop and recall the feet being small and the bails thin.

In fact the bails were bent.

Just an observation. Not saying it is fake.

I think this is a very nice reproduction. Loops look a bit too thick, straps are suspect and as Grant noted, that is rust pitting which has been painted over. I am pretty sure that the seller knew what he had. He was willing to state he wasn't sure which means he knew a little bit about helmets. When I'm not sure, I don't let it go cheap... I make sure.

Imagine having this conversation with yourself: "Let's see, it could be real and worth $4-5K but, I'm not sure so hey, I'll let it go for $500."

Also, if I am correct, the heat lot number is not in the correct range.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

The current database(still being worked on) is 102 to 232.

What is the heat stamp on this one though? It looks like it has at least two more characters after the 16, maybe a 166 or 160, D or C?

Hunt