Question from Holland

Holland

Hello, I am a Dutchman, 68 years young, I am not a militaryman but of course I did my military service as a young man. I am a collector of salesbrochures of cars, trucks, etc, since 1961. And of course my collection includes military trucks. And now, I have the time for making a "quality" comicbook, which goes back to 1958, i am looking for some information about the US Military of that period. Also to show the youth what was going on in that time, giving it more understanding.

Let me first thank you for this faboulus site, I really appreciate to be a member of this Forum. It think this is a very good way of keeping the past alive. I have a question and surely hope you could help me with this matter.

For some time now I am very busy working on a series of comic books going back to 1958. One part of the story is about a specific location in Germany: Wiesbaden/Trier. It concerns the military transport from an US Military camp in Wiesbaden going to or passing Trier. Because of course of the fact that the French were located in the Trier area: could this be possible, perhaps occasionally on a very small scale or is this absolutely impossible in the summer of 1958? Any further information on which regiment could be using this route or be located in the area would be of great interest. I ask you this because i think it is very important to be as correct as possible in anything concerning this matter, also to show respect to the persons and their organisations who were there at that particular time.

In advance I thank anyone helping me to make my comic book as correct as possible.

With my kindest regards,

Rob de Kruijs

post-195341-0-80556700-1537810389_thumb.jpg

Hello and welcome! Wiesbaden was first an Airbase, named 1948 as "Wiesbaden Air Base", and HQ of the US Airforce in Europe, well known because of it`s part in the "Luftbrücke Berlin" - supply of blocked Berlin. 1976 to 1983 was there Infantry. Trier was an Air Base, too, closed in 1977. So for a detailed answer I need more information.

Hello and welcome! Wiesbaden was first an Airbase, named 1948 as "Wiesbaden Air Base", and HQ of the US Airforce in Europe, well known because of it`s part in the "Luftbrücke Berlin" - supply of blocked Berlin. 1976 to 1983 was there Infantry. Trier was an Air Base, too, closed in 1977. So for a detailed answer I need more information.

Dear "Backtheattack", Tnaks for your reaction. The given information makes me happy, because as I understood from your description there was actually an airbase, both in Wiesbaden and Trier back in 1958. The story in my comic book is that the main characters (two young woman) were hunted by two villains. The girls escaped temporary to go into a pub and met there some soldiers. They helped the two and took the girls with them to the basis and the following day on a military transport from Wiesbaden to Trier. During a resting stop the villains tried again to take the girls with them but "of course" the military resqued them (remember it is still a comic book!) and the villains were captured. So that's the part of the story where I need strongly help on accuracy.

So the fact is that those both airbases existed in 1958, and a road trandsport of goods and/or material could very much happen logically I suppose. Or would it be more logical that the transport would be made between infantry basis (if these existed in both Wiesbaden and Trier in 1958). Also what regiment (names/numbers, do a site exists which could have pictures/details etc?) could have been involved.

This also reflects the fact that the Allied Forces still played an important role in 1958. In this particular case of the story they helped people and protected them against villains. On their travel with them (the militaries were so kind to take tham with the transport) from Wiesbaden to Trier. This also gives the Allied, in this case the Americans, a very positive flair, so it gives more understanding of their presence. They were, and of course in particular the Americans, helping and protecting the civilians (and not to forget the impact of the Marchall program!!). The comic book is also meant to give a real reflection of the time, because nowadays most (younger) people have regrettably a very limited knowledge of what was going on in those days, and what positieve role of the Americans played in that time!!

My comic books are meant for adults and brings the main characters in England, Germany, Hungary and the USA (all countries which I have visited personally) during their sought for special items. The time of the story is both pre- and post-war, in 1938/39 and 1958/59 and also reflects the deeper reasons and effects of the war on the countries and their people. With the help of my thousands original car/truck brochures, design books, etc. I hope to create quality comic books, which would stand out, any help is very welcome indeed.

In advance I thank you very much for any help you could give.

With my kindest regards.

Rob de Kruijs

Hello Rob,

Welcome to this Forum. Although I cannot answer your question, perhaps some other Forum members can. Again, welcome!

Dear "Cobra 6", Thank you for your welcome, very friendly, happily I got another answer which I have already replied. Hopefully this will help me any further. With my kindest regards, Rob from Holland.