Photo

Is There a Site/Page Online On those American Tank Crews Sent To Egypt In The Summer of 1942?pt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 23,849 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:19 PM

Was interested in reading and seeing more on this, so would anyone know of a site/page or perhaps an in depth topic in from the past here on USMF where it was talked about.

I don't feel like ordering Sahara off Amazon  to find out more, only joking  :lol: :lol: :lol: I just find this an interesting period, and don't know hardly anything on it, like how many tanks were sent, what became of these guys and their tanks, like did they just eventually get reassigned in theater to say the 1st or 2nd Armd Divs, or one of the Separate Tank Bns in 1943, like who was their overall C.O., were there support people too, not mechanics which there probably were, but other's like Signal Corps, Ordnance Corps Ammo people etc.

#2 copper252

copper252
  • Members
    • Member ID: 163,795
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:55 PM

I had never heard about US tanks and crews being sent out that early, I guess I learn something new everyday.

-Seth

#3 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,849 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:12 AM

I had never heard about US tanks and crews being sent out that early, I guess I learn something new everyday.

-Seth

Here's one of them :lol:

109188161.jpg

#4 BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,207
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:51 AM

Don't forget this guyrps20180924_145122_313.jpg

#5 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,849 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:27 AM

Clowning around aside, doesn't seem to be anything on them, just brief mentioning in a couple a books I have, and really nothing online.

#6 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,849 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:19 PM

Found this photo in that 1966 Gene Gurney book The United States Army...A Pictorial History.

rsz_1rsz_priest.jpg

Caption says and I Quote. "A Tank is given a test on the sand dunes in Egypt by men of the Drivers' Section of a Repair Depot of the Middle East Training Center".

No date is given as we see, and the "Tank" is of course the M7 Self Propelled Artillery vehicle the Priest. Looks at any rate to be an accurate photo, cause the terrain looks like the Sahara, and the Priest has a Tan Desert paint  job, paint seen of British tanks and other British AFVs and soft skin vehicles.

Edited by patches, 22 July 2019 - 07:20 PM.

#7 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,849 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:25 PM

Found this from the Center of Military History. Oddly we see the excap same photo of the Priest on the top of the page, but no real other talk on it or Lee Tanks.

Here is the operative paragraph, you'll see but only talk on Air Forces etc not U.S. Army ground missions in the rest of the page.

The JCS straddled the fence. Although Churchill was persuasive enough to inspire brief interest in a plan that would have sent Maj. Gen. George S. Patton, Jr., and an American armored division to Egypt to bolster the British Eighth Army, the JCS limited American troop commitments in the theater to air units. Seeking compromise, Marshall proposed sending some of the Army's latest equipment to the British forces in Egypt: 300 M4 Sherman tanks, 100 self-propelled 105-mm. artillery pieces, and 150 men qualified to maintain and repair this equipment, which had only recently entered the American inventory. The President immediately approved the proposal, and the Prime Minister quickly accepted it. The British especially appreciated the Sherman models because their 75-mm. guns were mounted more effectively in turrets instead of in sponsors (protrusions mounted on the side of the hull). The Sherman gave the British a tank approximately equal to the German panzers facing the Eighth Army. Although the War Department immediately began to implement the agreement, the distances between the United States and Egypt and the acute shortage of Allied shipping meant that the tanks, artillery, and support troops would not actually arrive in Egypt until early September.

https://history.army...egypt/egypt.htm

Edited by patches, 03 August 2019 - 04:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users