September Theater Fighting Knives

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Stopped at trhe local flea mart on the way home this morn. Local picker had an aluminum theater knife I was going to go back and pick up, but he couldn't find it. Then he drags out another box with these in it. The blades on the aluminum handled one were crap. The brass handle one has a "smatchet?" style blade. Was asking $30 each. Did I miss any thing?

Thoughts / opinions? Thanks

PS.. none of the blades were marked

I did grab a "cut down" Japanese bayo (not pictured) , will post it separate.

post-9131-0-79654300-1537743198_thumb.jpg

From left to right,

I assume this is the smatchet style knife, no real opinion, probably worth the $30

This looks like an E G Waterman knife. If in good shape worth the $30, but the sheath looks modern.

This knife is in an M8A1 scabbard, which alone should be worth $25. Not enough info on the knife.

If this is the aluminum handled knife with a crappy blade, it's in a Mark 2 plastic sheath which, by itself is worth $40-50.

Last one, hand made handle and sheath, maybe worth $30 if in really good condition.

Just my opinion.

Does not look like a Type 30 Japanese Bayonet, so not sure what it is. I have a Japanese bayo turned into a knife that is much cruder than that; that one is pretty.

The Japanese were not the only ones with hooked quillions, It does resemble the Siamese bayo, but the rivets don't look right. Although I don't think it looks like a Type 30, it may be a variation that I am not familiar with.

The "Japanese" bayonet may be a Japanese training bayonet. Often they are not manufacturer marked. Any numbers/proofs on the end of the pommel?

Trainers were originally not sharpened and not as well made or sturdy as military issue bayonets. Still, a nice collectible!