Are these allowed on ebay?

6th.MG.BN

With all the talk of ebay pulling medal auctions down I was wondering if these were allowed https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-WW1-WWI-Military-World-War-Veteran-Cast-Metal-Grave-Marker-Flag-Holder/192667950822?hash=item2cdbe79ee6:g:W7MAAOSw64tbmaa2

. I thought any grave marker was not allowed to be sold?

Hopefully someone can add the link?

Ken

They encourage "Grave Robbing" of our veterans and punish collectors who want to keep alive/ share the veterans medals.

Go figure.

Ken

To be fair, I think it’s a leap to say they encourage grave robbing.

I disagree with some of their policies / practices, to be sure, but it could be the difference between having a policy in-place, and their ability to enforce it 100% of the time.

With the volume of transactions they process daily, even if they have a stated policy on these (?), I’m not sure how you keep a few from slipping through.

And keep in mind, many in our community celebrate when some other counter-policy items get past the ‘watchers’ - like PHs. I guess my point is we’re always going to have differing opinions. Some of us whine when we get back-doored on an item, but the next post is somebody putting up pics of something they back-doored somebody else on.

Sad as it is, these markers get stolen all the time. I see them at about every swap meet, flea market, etc.

And BTW, I agree they should not be sold.

vintageproductions

Why report other people's posting?

Are you upset that you have had an auction pulled and someone else hasn't?

Seems a little childish. Move on, there are lots of other things to do in life then to always worry about what someone else is doing or getting away with.

+1

Seems a little childish. Move on, there are lots of other things to do in life then to always worry about what someone else is doing or getting away with.

I agree entirely with Bob. So many complain when their items are reported and closed, yet do the same thing to others. Let's not encourage Ebay to keep closing listings, whatever they are. The more reports they get, the closer scrutiny they will give, and the more listings will be closed, especially in our field.

Steve

I just had to chime in on this post. We do not know where that marker came from, a relative? Knocked off and buried in a thin layer of soil? Someone who found it in some antique shop? Assuming it was stolen to be sold on EBay is a stretch. Having been a metal detector artifact Hunter for years, I think the biggest crime is not allowing areas to be hunted, artifacts just rot away in the ground never, ever to be seen. My thoughts, I appreciate it being sold on EBay, only a collector ( who will preserve it, put it in his collection, and maybe on display) will buy it. Much, much, better than the seller throwing it into the garbage dump- lost forever. I have experienced this scenario many times, you will be amazed how much history and artifacts are lost being tossed into the dump never to be seen again.

Selling them for scrap is illegal, not sure about selling in general but it might be. Scott

Scott,

Thanks for answering my question.

Ken

While, I wouldn't be anxious to buy grave markers, as far as I know, there are no laws that forbid their purchase. The reason for that is that there is no definitive way to say that they are all stolen. Manufactures had samples, veterans posts had leftovers and weathered markers were replaced. Obviously, if you have reason to believe that anything is stolen, it is illegal to buy the item.

+2

The reality is that these turn up from time to time. I avoid them, personally....but think of the thousands...tens of thousands...hundreds of thousands...made over the years. It's not realistic to think that they aren't occasionally replaced, etc. They can be acquired through legitimate means.

Then...hypothetically say they are sold at estate auction....some antique dealer gets one in a box lot.... I don't blame them for offering them for sale to someone who would appreciate what it is.

I once saw a local municipal auction in my town selling these markers by the hordes. Apparently a rule had been passed at our local cemeteries that disallowed any markers or decorations above grown to facilitate mowing. To assume these come from "grave robbers" isn't a fair statement. Having said that, I would personally clear of collecting them as well BUT I think many are coming to market as a result of similar policies. Many of these policies, the medals, these markers are attempts to regulate morality and there are so often issues when that is attempted. The bad acts of a very few often impact the larger majority.

suwanneetrader

Warguy and others are correct. Years ago I had a collection of markers from Rev. War thru WWII US CSA etc Many were brought to me at my business in Rural KY and later in Rural N. FL. by Surveyors who found them walking remote areas laying out open land for development. In earlier times many farms had a family plot that as the family died out the markers fell over rotted etc and land returned to the wild. I also use to metal located CW and Seminole War sites if I found a metal marker on the ground and knew burials were there I put it back up, and said a little prayer. I found a couple of small ones at the end of plowed fields where the tractor made it's turn so no way to know where to put them back and current owner said not one of his ancestors. I also knew of an occasion were private land was being developed and at one time there had been a Seminole War Fort cemetery complete with Naval Anchor chain around it there. The soldier's remains had been moved at least 50+ years prior to a State/Federal Military Cemetery complete with more modern headstones. The local historical society took any they wanted to preserve, the developer/landowner gave a few to collectors who wanted one (they were large and heavy granite I think). Then all was bulldozed. Another time I saw a cemetery that had piles of stone markers broken and complete ones just piled up in the back as they had went to policy of no above ground level markers.

As I was still going to shows in 70's - 90's I took I couple to show when I decided I did not want and a couple of people gave me so much grief and I got tired of explaining I would never take one off of a grave I donated them to a museum.

What I'm trying to show is many who possess them are not grave robbers or disrespectful. Richard

Many cemeteries have also "banned" their use to make lawn mowing easier, so in some cases they were returned to the families. I avoid them at my shop as I do not want to encourage any theft of those that may still be found on graves.