MRE Pizza

12thengr

After years of us scratching our heads at why some meals had peanut butter, and some had jelly (usually jelly with crackers that bled through all the holes), a few years ago they finally started putting both packets into meals...with snack bread, so you could make your own PB&J. As they are individually packaged, no concern about allergens, but I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that a Peanut allergy disqualifies you from military service. Never met a Marine allergic to peanut butter...but have met quite a few civilians.

No Sriracha...however Tabasco kept one tiny piece of the pie...there is a green pepper sauce packet in only one menu. You may be on to something with the sauces...awhile back there was a Buffalo Shredded Chicken. I never cared for it, but a lot of guys loved it. Then it disappeared, and there was mass griping. A year later, out comes Chicken Chunks with Buffalo Sauce...the big difference naturally being chunk vs shredded, but the chunks also come plain with a packet of buffalo sauce for you to season to your liking

As for flavors...a lot of guys carry seasoning salts and spices, and we just pass them around and swap flavors. Been going on at least since I came in...a lot of guys also supplement their field diets with Ramon ever since the beverage bags came out, and the old classics like Vienna Sausages

As for pizza, guys have been treating the meatball marinara like a lunchable for a long time...comes with snack bread and cheese spread

Side note...another new menu is Spinach Fettucine...which my guy who tried it says is awful.

... supplement their field diets with Ramon ever since the beverage bags came out, and the old classics like Vienna Sausages

Good ole Ramen and Vienna Sausages, a bachelor's sustenance.

The more I look at the pizza the more it reminds me of the fake vomit you could buy out of the Johnson-Smith Novelty catalogs when I was a kid  :unsure:  :blush:

Ha ha ha

That’s a good one Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know Brig, I was going to bet you a case of MREs on that, but realized that everybody loses that way.

:)

Heres a pic of the MRE bag, MEATBALLS, WITH BARBECUE SAUCE. As I said, perfection.

The Meatballs are in Marinara Sauce

post-94991-0-98826600-1537745019_thumb.jpeg

Hahaha, should have just stuck with the pepperoni pizza cheese crackers.

That pizza looks gnarly, what about a pizza cheese spread to put on crackers or the wheat snack bread.

Like pepperoni cheese spread, 5 cheese spread. Etc

Heres a pic of the MRE bag, MEATBALLS, WITH BARBECUE SAUCE. As I said, perfection.

Yep, that, Spaghetti with Meat Sauce, and Beef Stew (all in early 90s brown bags) were my favorites. I really miss MRE Maple Nut Cake for breakfast.

Spaghetti and Beef Stew are still kicking, have been around since I came in so guessing same recipes...

There is now a 'Maple Muffin Top', which is really a poundcake masquerading as a pancake

I forgot about the beef stew.

I do remember the least desireable, resulting in the most griping, was chicken ala king.

Even on a long deployment I would pass on that one.

Yep, that, Spaghetti with Meat Sauce, and Beef Stew (all in early 90s brown bags) were my favorites. I really miss MRE Maple Nut Cake for breakfast.

I forgot about the beef stew.

I do remember the least desireable, resulting in the most griping, was chicken ala king.

Even on a long deployment I would pass on that one.

We had an E-5 eating that once in the field and he bit into something hard. He pulled it out of his mouth and exclaimed to all of us in the area, "It's a f%$#@& beak!" The nickname generated for that particular MRE after that incident is not suitable for this forum.

I didn't mind the turkey tet...I didn't trust the shrimp jambalaya

Other awful memories were the Cheese & Veggie Omelet, the Meatloaf, Country Captain Chicken, and all the Thai menus

Never had the joy of biting into a beak. The first time I opened one and looked at it, that was enough. Appearance and smell evoked an evolutionary response, which had me drop it like a hot rock.

We had an E-5 eating that once in the field and he bit into something hard. He pulled it out of his mouth and exclaimed to all of us in the area, "It's a f%$#@& beak!" The nickname generated for that particular MRE after that incident is not suitable for this forum.

To just a civilian like me, the names on some of these make it sound like there's some posh gourmet eats there. Then after all your comments...maybe not. A valve washer???

While we are on the subject, do MREs still come with matches? I found some brown books of matches with the same wording as the old ones, “These matches are designed especially for damp climates but they will not light when wet or after long exposure (several weeks) to very damp air”.

the freeze dried peaches and the freeze dried fruit cocktail in the original MREs (dating myself here) are something I still long for

Pop them in you mouth dry and it was pure heaven.

Tom Bowers